Thread: Malala seeks to raise $1.4bn for Syrian refugee education

Thanks
    Pakistan United States

Malala seeks to raise $1.4bn for Syrian refugee education

LONDON: Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai will seek to inspire world leaders at a conference in London on Thurs*day to commit $1.4 billion this year to give Syrian refugee children access to education, she said in an interview on Sunday.

Heads of state and government and ministers from countries around the world will converge on London for the ‘Supporting Syria and the region’ conference, which aims to raise funds for humanitarian crises caused by the Syrian war.

Some 700,000 Syrian children living in refugee camps in Jordan and Lebanon and in other Middle Eastern countries are out of school, according to a report issued by the Malala Fund, which campaigns and fundraises for educational causes.

“I have met so many Syrian refugee children; they are still in my mind. I can’t forget them. The thought that they won’t be able to go to school in their whole life is completely shocking and I cannot accept it,” Malala said in the telephone interview.

“We can still help them, we can still protect them. They are not lost yet. They need schools. They need books. They need teachers. This is the way we can protect the future of Syria.”

An accomplished public speaker who brought a United Nations audience to its feet in a celebrated speech in 2013, she hopes to make a powerful impact at the London event.

‘WE CAN’T WAIT’: “I’m hoping to encourage and inspire world leaders to take action. I’m not going to wait. We can’t wait. It needs to happen.”

Malala will appear at the London conference alongside 17-year-old schoolgirl Muzoon Almellehan, who will be the only young Syrian refugee to address world leaders at the event.

“Without education we cannot do anything,” Muzoon said on the same call as Malala.
    The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greenstar For This Useful Post: Khanda,Mohan Tiwari,NazamKhan,Tari

Thanks
    Pakistan Australia

Re: Malala seeks to raise $1.4bn for Syrian refugee education

The girl doing good.

Thanks
    Pakistan Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstar View Post
    LONDON: Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai will seek to inspire world leaders at a conference in London on Thurs*day to commit $1.4 billion this year to give Syrian refugee children access to education, she said in an interview on Sunday.

Heads of state and government and ministers from countries around the world will converge on London for the ‘Supporting Syria and the region’ conference, which aims to raise funds for humanitarian crises caused by the Syrian war.

Some 700,000 Syrian children living in refugee camps in Jordan and Lebanon and in other Middle Eastern countries are out of school, according to a report issued by the Malala Fund, which campaigns and fundraises for educational causes.

“I have met so many Syrian refugee children; they are still in my mind. I can’t forget them. The thought that they won’t be able to go to school in their whole life is completely shocking and I cannot accept it,” Malala said in the telephone interview.

“We can still help them, we can still protect them. They are not lost yet. They need schools. They need books. They need teachers. This is the way we can protect the future of Syria.”

An accomplished public speaker who brought a United Nations audience to its feet in a celebrated speech in 2013, she hopes to make a powerful impact at the London event.

‘WE CAN’T WAIT’: “I’m hoping to encourage and inspire world leaders to take action. I’m not going to wait. We can’t wait. It needs to happen.”

Malala will appear at the London conference alongside 17-year-old schoolgirl Muzoon Almellehan, who will be the only young Syrian refugee to address world leaders at the event.

“Without education we cannot do anything,” Muzoon said on the same call as Malala.
    1.4 billion is a hell of a large amount. Good luck to her.

Thanks
    India India

I'm a little cynical about Malala to be honest.
    The Following User Says Thank You to vsdoc For This Useful Post: sparkling

Thanks
    India India

Quote Originally Posted by vsdoc View Post
    Pashtoon girl is doing good job..
    She may be the only person who represent
    pakistan in positive sense
    The Following User Says Thank You to Mohan Tiwari For This Useful Post: Tari

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

I agree with you something doesnt sit well with me in the contrived interviews she was doing at a very young must have had extensive coaching from father
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparkling For This Useful Post: vsdoc,Wattan

Thanks
    Europe Pakistan

Shes just a drama queen remember at the age of 12 or 13 she was praising Obama living near telebunny land which was being droned was akin to putting a bulls eye on her back

Thanks
    Pakistan Europe

She ain't got a cat in hell chance of raising that kinda dough but kudos for thinking big.

Thanks
    Pakistan Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by sparkling View Post
    I agree with you something doesnt sit well with me in the contrived interviews she was doing at a very young must have had extensive coaching from father
    A girl that has had her youth stolen from her. Sad

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Doc Why be such a skeptic? Her intentions are in the right place. Whether she succeeds in the raising the money remains to be seen.

She is the youngest ever recipient of a Nobel prize and I am proud of her and that she is from Pakistan.

Her Indian counterpart Mr Kailash Satyarthi should join her in her efforts to raise the money which is for a very good cause.
    The Following User Says Thank You to Tari For This Useful Post: Wattan

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Malala Yousafzai Nobel Peace Prize Speech

The Following User Says Thank You to Tari For This Useful Post: Wattan

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by Tari View Post
    Doc Why be such a skeptic? Her intentions are in the right place. Whether she succeeds in the raising the money remains to be seen.

She is the youngest ever recipient of a Nobel prize and I am proud of her and that she is from Pakistan.

Her Indian counterpart Mr Kailash Satyarthi should join her in her efforts to raise the money which is for a very good cause.
    I agree with you. Give the girl the benefit of the doubt