Thread: Indian Missiles a Visual analysis

Thanks
    Pakistan United Arab Emirates

Indian Missiles a Visual analysis

In this thread we will analyze the dimensions of Indian Ballistic missiles by visual analysis of the best resolution pictures available. Many of the missile dimensions are already published so we will take that into account and those dimensions which aren't available will be ascertained by comparing the missile with something in the picture,usually the wheels of the lorry. Reason is that the dimensions of the rim are universal and well known.
    For example Indian Ashok Leyland Articulated lorries use a universal 22.5 inch rim. This type of lorry has been seen in many picture towing Indian missiles,specially during parades.
    We will count the pixels in the width of towing truck's rim and knowing that it is a standard 22.5 inch , we will count the pixels in whatever dimension we want o know of the missile and then estimate the dimension in centimeters using a Known dimension of the missile as a yard stick or the size of Rim as a yard stick.
    It is an unorthodox method and sources of error are the angle at which the picture was taken,and we can safely say there will be 5-10% error margin.
    Readers are free to add your own analysis in your own words,all copy paste will be deleted.
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jagga For This Useful Post: Amjad Hussain,Neo

Thanks
    Pakistan United Arab Emirates

Re: Indian Missiles a Visual analysis

Starting with Agni-4,as we can see the missile's first stage slightly tapers. The bottom is a bit wider than the top of the first stage (The white section). Also twi stages are clearly marked by change of color and the cable runners.The second stage after initial tapering seems to be of constant width (The brown section) On top of the missile sits the warhead under the black cone

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AgniIV.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	8120

CONTINUED
    The Following User Says Thank You to Jagga For This Useful Post: Amjad Hussain

Thanks
    India India

Cant' see the wheel in your image. This image have all the features

This one is more clear

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mohan Tiwari For This Useful Post: Amjad Hussain,safriz

Last edited by Mohan Tiwari; 8th November 2015 at 08:11.

Thanks
    India India

[MENTION=4039]Jagga[/MENTION]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9a83fb325ca7cdf1c1cc2e446147.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	889.1 KB 
ID:	8121

I wanted to use this image with ImageJ. I thought of segmenting those 2 rings into 2 binary image using adjustment and thresholding tool.
    But it's not an easy job to remove all those objects from scene.

Luckily, Post #2 doesnt suffer with isometric perspective which makes it easy to compare diameters of 1st stage and 2nd stage.

I used Gimp as Tool --> measure to count the pixels.

Diameter of 1st stage : Diameter of 2nd stage = 171: 143 ~= 1.2

The 22.5 inch rim was missing in [MENTION=4039]Jagga[/MENTION] image. So I used the attached image in this post, to compare diameter of 2nd stage rocket vs Rim's diameter

"Rim of the tyres" from this image are parallel to the road axis.
    Inner diameter of rim perspective projection is 78 pixel while Diameter of 2nd stage rocket is around 125 pixel but there is 15 degree vertical slant( for Agni IV on platform, calculated from Gimp ). So true diameter will be secant 15 degree of Vertical Diameter calculated in the diagram.

There by,

22.5 inch = 22.5/12 Feet = 22.5/(12*3.2804)Meter =0.57 Meter =>78 Pixel

Hence
    125 pixel for Diameter of 2nd stage rocket corresponds to =>0.57 *125/78*sec(15 degree)=0.95 Meter

Diameter of 2nd stage rocket should be approximately around 1 Meter

Diameter of 1st stage should be around = 1.2 meter
    The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mohan Tiwari For This Useful Post: Amjad Hussain,Jagga,Neo,safriz

Last edited by Mohan Tiwari; 8th November 2015 at 16:04.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

[MENTION=9415]Mohan Tiwari[/MENTION] excellent work.

Width of Agni-4 is not available on any websites i checked and your stipulation of 1.2 meters for first stage and 1 meter for 2nd stage looks so much logical
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safriz For This Useful Post: Amjad Hussain,Mohan Tiwari

Thanks
    India India

Quote Originally Posted by safriz View Post
    [MENTION=9415]Mohan Tiwari[/MENTION] excellent work.

Width of Agni-4 is not available on any websites i checked and your stipulation of 1.2 meters for first stage and 1 meter for 2nd stage looks so much logical
    Thanks. I was initially planning to extract all those 3 rings and calculate area of pixel under each of those curves after auto-segmenting those shapes but It required "warped rotation" of those "diameter shapes" across Y axis. I am not good with image processing GUI .

Matlab image processing tool kit could have been handy for it!

Not aware of the naming convention but I assumed 1st burn engine as the 1st stage of the rocket.

I believe that K-15,K-4 & Agni -IV share the light weight structure. K-15/shourya is kind of tactical hypersonic cruise ballistic missiles which remain in Stratosphere(height of 40 KM) while K-4 has a normal rentry just like Agni-IV
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mohan Tiwari For This Useful Post: Amjad Hussain,Neo

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Nice work [MENTION=9415]Mohan Tiwari[/MENTION] sounds logical