Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hundreds protest LAPD shooting of unarmed black man

Thanks
    Turkey Turkey

Re: Hundreds protest LAPD shooting of unarmed black man

Orlov pointed out (in the video interview I posted yesterday) that if a country keeps talking about "freedom and democracy," it doesn't have them.

The New Black Panthers (I think the old ones mostly got shot dead by the US authorities decades ago) ask Russia to stand up to US ethnic cleansing:

The Following User Says Thank You to 1Badmaash For This Useful Post: bilalhaider

Forum Administrator bilalhaider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by 1Badmaash View Post
    Orlov pointed out (in the video interview I posted yesterday) that if a country keeps talking about "freedom and democracy," it doesn't have them.

The New Black Panthers (I think the old ones mostly got shot dead by the US authorities decades ago) ask Russia to stand up to US ethnic cleansing:

Fox News is trying to defend the police cop. There are two camps of blacks that I'm seeing on their shows, one are the Christian blacks who seem to be on the side of the authorities; and the other camp is talking about the black youth victimization.

What I find unbelievable is, in terms of this case, is that the white cop shot an unarmed black teen 6 times, left the dead body out there for hours, and has since then disappeared. He must be brought to the public, and should not be hidden/protected.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

5 arrested, 2 officers injured in Brown memorial unrest

FERGUSON, Mo. — Five protesters were arrested and some businesses were damaged Tuesday night after a memorial to Michael Brown was destroyed in a fire. The confrontation reignited tensions in the St. Louis suburb that was rocked by violence this summer after Brown, an unarmed teenager, was shot by a Ferguson police officer.

During a news conference Wednesday, Capt. Ron Johnson with the Missouri State Highway Patrol said two St. Louis County police officers were injured during the unrest.

Johnson said one of the officers was hit just underneath his eye with a rock. He is expected to recover.

USATODAY
    Timeline: Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, Mo.
    The unrest started Tuesday when a beauty supply store was looted and vandalized by several people attempting to haul out a cash register. Johnson said the manager said this was the third time the store had been broken into in the last six weeks.

Police responded to the break-in and then several gunshots were heard and approximately 200 people gathered at the site where demonstrations were held after the Aug. 9 shooting of Brown, 18, by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson.

After the break-in, a fire was reported at a restaurant on Carson Road. Johnson said the investigation shows gasoline appears to have been poured around the restaurant. He said the fire was put out by Ferguson firefighters.

Some protesters said they were in the streets because the makeshift memorial to Brown burned earlier in the day. Protesters said they believed it was set intentionally.

The fire started around 6:45 a.m. CT Tuesday on Canfield Drive, the street where Wilson killed Brown, said Capt. Jeremy Corcoran with the Ferguson police.

Johnson said the fire started small enough to have been put out with a cup of water, but instead of acting, some people stood watching the fire for 11 minutes until police and firefighters arrived. He said the cause of the fire has not yet been determined, but he doesn't believe that a police officer started it. He says a full investigation is underway to determine the cause.

Later Tuesday, residents later rebuilt the memorial. The blaze angered many people who live near the scene. One man said it was like a grave being desecrated.

Around 12:15 a.m., unpeaceful people started to flash lights into the eyes of police, shouting about shooting officers and burning down the town, Johnson said Wednesday. He said the protesters were positioning themselves close to officers, so the decision was made to disperse the crowd. Johnson said when they attempted to break up the group, some started throwing bottles, rocks and other items at police, injuring two officers.

"This behavior will not be tolerated," said Johnson.

The unrest continued, Johnson said, when someone near Canfield fired shots at the officers. He said he saw the muzzle flash from the gun and sought shelter. Officers were wearing bulletproof vests, but Johnson said a lot of the heavy equipment used during the unrest in August was not used Tuesday, but they will start to respond to the area in riot gear if it becomes necessary.

Johnson also said a Molotov cocktail was thrown at a parking facility.

"We cannot have nights like last night," said Johnson.

Of the five people arrested for failing to disperse, Johnson believed one person also is facing assault and inciting a riot charges.

Brown's death led to weeks of protest and unrest in the St. Louis suburb. After a month without an arrest, Brown's parents and activists questioned why Wilson had not been indicted in the killing.

At the time of the shooting, witnesses in the area said Brown had raised his hands to surrender as he was shot. A state grand jury and the U.S. Department of Justice are continuing to investigate.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...uson/16138611/

Thanks
    Pakistan UK

Another black 18 year old teen has been shot in St Louis, Missouri. The white cop shot the black teen fatally, 17 times; allegedly in retaliation.

Lots of unrest on the streets of Missouri right now. One does not expect this from a first world country like the US.

Thanks
    Pakistan France

Quote Originally Posted by alihamza View Post
    Another black 18 year old teen has been shot in St Louis, Missouri. The white cop shot the black teen fatally, 17 times; allegedly in retaliation.

Lots of unrest on the streets of Missouri right now. One does not expect this from a first world country like the US.
    Unarmed kid shot 17 times in the back?

Thanks
    Turkey Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Fassi View Post
    Unarmed kid shot 17 times in the back?
    I believe the kid shot first.

Thanks
    Iran Netherlands

Footage shows homeless black man being shot at 46 times by police in US

Officers then dragged Mr Hall's body along the ground trying to handcuff him

Graphic footage has emerged showing a homeless man being shot and killed by police in the US who fired a barrage of 46 bullets as he held a penknife.

Milton Hall, who was mentally ill, was surrounded by eight officers training their guns in a shopping centre car park in Saginaw, Michigan, in July 2012.

The 49-year-old had been arguing with police after an alleged altercation with a shop assistant for several minutes and the video shows him refusing an officer’s demand to put down the knife.

After a tense stand-off, he appeared to step forward and police opened fire. The footage, taken by a bystander, shows Mr Hall fall down almost immediately and lie unmoving on the ground.

He had been shot 14 times.

As he lies bleeding, the officers are seen attempting to handcuff his lifeless arms and dragging his body along the ground, with one officer appearing to kick his back.

Police officers attempting to handcuff Mr Hall after shooting him Police officers attempting to handcuff Mr Hall after shooting him Shocked onlookers can be heard shouting at police after the shooting, with one asking: “Why did they have to shoot him so many times?”.

The death of Mr Hall, who was black, at the hands of white police officers sparked protests and calls for the police who shot him to face criminal charges.

But the county prosecutor and Department of Justice declined to bring charges against them, accepting the that the action was justified in the face of what they felt was a threat.

Mr Hall was “known” to authorities for committing previous offences, a police spokesperson said at the time, but his family said he had only committed minor, non-violent crimes.

His mother, Jewel Hall, described her son’s death as “an assassination”, by a “firing squad dressed in uniforms”.

Milton Hall's mother, Jewel Hall Milton Hall's mother, Jewel Hall In an interview with the American Civil Liberties Union, who released the latest footage, she said Mr Hall fought for equal rights and worked with Rosa Parks, the famous civil rights activist whose refusal to give up her seat for a white bus passenger in 1955 was one of the key events in the civil rights movement.

“His blood [was] running down the street like water,” Mrs Hall said. “And he wasn't a threat, I mean, he had a little pen knife.

“He had no idea that those policemen would do that to him…justice still has not been served.”

Mrs Hall is now working with other families bereaved by police shootings and campaigning for changes to laws governing the police use of “deadly force”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-9826453.html
    The Following User Says Thank You to Mazea For This Useful Post: T-123456

Thanks
    Iran Netherlands

US police established no-fly zone over Ferguson

Leaked audio recordings have revealed that the US government allowed police to establish a no-fly zone over Ferguson, Missouri, following the August killing of an unarmed African-American teenager by police.

The recordings show the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) restricted the airspace above the city to stop media helicopters from recording news footage during the protests in August.

"They finally admitted it really was to keep the media out," said one FAA manager about the St. Louis County Police in a series of recorded telephone conversations obtained by The Associated Press. "But they were a little concerned of, obviously, anything else that could be going on.

The latest revelation has raised serious concerns about the violation of journalists' constitutional rights in the United States.

The recordings contradict claims by the St. Louis County police department, which was criticized for its forceful response to demonstrations.

Authorities said they requested a no-fly-zone in response to shots fired at a police helicopter.

A wave of high profile fatal police shootings has heated the debate on police brutality in the US. In Ferguson, 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot to death by Darren Wilson in August.

Brown was shot at least six times, including twice in the head by the white officer. Though police have a different account about the deadly shooting incident, several eyewitnesses say the unarmed teen held up his arms in surrender before he was repeatedly shot.

The incident ignited tensions in Ferguson, a predominantly African-American city f about 20,000 people.

US police shoot and kill an average of 1,000 people a year, one in every four of whom are unarmed, according to a report by the Police Policy Studies Council.

GJH/GJH

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Ferguson, Missouri has been on the edge of riots.

The Grand Jury has just concluded that there will be no indictment for Officer Wilson, the white police officer who shot the black teenager.

This can have huge repercussions in Missouri, and other parts of the US.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Rioting has started in Ferguson, Missouri.
    The Following User Says Thank You to bilalhaider For This Useful Post: Falcon29

Thanks
    Palestinian Territory Palestinian Territory

[MENTION=10]bilalhaider[/MENTION]

I don't know if you're from America or not but I can tell you that there is a large perception amongst white community here that blacks are dangerous and it's risky to even come near them. So unfortunately it results in shootings like this but these do happen with non-blacks as well. I will tell you why in a second. But to get back to point, I use term 'blacks' becaus it's the term used here. Most African Americans here see themselves as Americans and have no recollection of their ties to Africa. While the Africans with accents, foreign culture and more professionalism can be easily recognized as Africans.

Now about the race factor, I know African American community is perceiving it as a race issue. But I can tell you the police here are very freakish and nervous. You can't walk near them or even dispute a ticket he gave you for example because they're paranoid and perceive literally any movement as an attempt against their life. And when you give such freakish/paranoid/nervous people lethal weapons and legal system which protects them in such cases it ends with tragedies. Back home in Palestine I walk 2 inches near the police and even if I argue it would be normal but we don't argue, we have so much respect and no matter what guns are never drawn. There is compromise and sense of safety. Only thing people fear are Israeli attacks.

So I hope i don't encounter any cop soon since I have hot temper which won't end well.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon29 View Post
    [MENTION=10]bilalhaider[/MENTION]

I don't know if you're from America or not but I can tell you that there is a large perception amongst white community here that blacks are dangerous and it's risky to even come near them. So unfortunately it results in shootings like this but these do happen with non-blacks as well. I will tell you why in a second. But to get back to point, I use term 'blacks' becaus it's the term used here. Most African Americans here see themselves as Americans and have no recollection of their ties to Africa. While the Africans with accents, foreign culture and more professionalism can be easily recognized as Africans.

Now about the race factor, I know African American community is perceiving it as a race issue. But I can tell you the police here are very freakish and nervous. You can't walk near them or even dispute a ticket he gave you for example because they're paranoid and perceive literally any movement as an attempt against their life. And when you give such freakish/paranoid/nervous people lethal weapons and legal system which protects them in such cases it ends with tragedies. Back home in Palestine I walk 2 inches near the police and even if I argue it would be normal but we don't argue, we have so much respect and no matter what guns are never drawn. There is compromise and sense of safety. Only thing people fear are Israeli attacks.

So I hope i don't encounter any cop soon since I have hot temper which won't end well.
    I've lived in the US for more than half my life, so pretty familiar with the country. Lived on the east coast and midwest, currently in the midwest.

The problem in the US is, the racial tensions are very clear.

The law enforcement agencies in the US are really too strong in my opinion. I have heard multiple stories in my town in Colorado where police shot unarmed people, and made it to the news.

Blacks are disproportionately indicted and put in jail more than whites. There are many more incidents of white cops against black youth, than vice versa. A lot more blacks are in jail as compared to whites. The socioeconomic indicators for blacks are a lot worse than whites. There are much deeper racial issues/divides, and white cops vs black youth is only a drop in the pond.

There is a deep mistrust between black youths and white cops. I can understand the duties of cops, but I sometimes also think the cops are very brutal in their use of force. There is no use of common sense from the police at times, in situations that require it the most; and as long as the police is acting legally, they can use brute force.

The system is skewed heavily on the favor of law enforcement agencies, as this case showed, and they can use brutal force with no repercussions from the law. I don't think the police officer in this case was level headed in his actions.

The looting and destroying is absolutely unacceptable.
    The Following User Says Thank You to bilalhaider For This Useful Post: Falcon29

Last edited by bilalhaider; 25th November 2014 at 05:33.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Protests starting in Los Angeles, possibly in New York City (Times Square).

Police preparing for any violent protests in Washington DC, Detroit, Philadelphia and other places.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Drones up in the air for surveillance in Los Angeles. Crazy scenes.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Crowds forming in front of the White House.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Firing going on in Ferguson, Missouri.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

More than 100 shots fired in Ferguson, Missouri.

Crowds forming in St Louis, Missouri.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Obama asking for calm. People are going crazy.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by sparkling View Post
    Obama asking for calm. People are going crazy.
    When Obama asked for calm, things actually got a lot worse right after that.
    The Following User Says Thank You to bilalhaider For This Useful Post: Nabeel

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Lots of buildings burned down in Ferguson, businesses looted, shots fired.

The extent of the damage will be seen in the morning.
    The Following User Says Thank You to bilalhaider For This Useful Post: Nabeel

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast