Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pakistan: Eight die as Lahore police clash with Qadri supporters

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Model Town killings: Shahbaz must tender resignation, says Imran Khan

ISLAMABAD:

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chief Imran Khan on Saturday renewed his demand that Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif must resign after the Model Town incident, in which around a dozen people died after police opened fire at Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) workers.
    He said in any truly democratic and accountable system the chief minister would have resigned after what happened in Model Town, Lahore.

“Shahbaz Sharif has not done so and is instead pursuing a vengeful track, which is shameful indeed,” he said in a statement issued on Saturday.
    “The complicity of the chief minister in the Model Town action is evident from the hasty transfer of the Punjab inspector general just before the police action commenced,” Imran said. He added that Shahbaz must take responsibility for these killings. The PTI chief pointed out that the police had become notorious for extra judicial killings during Shahbaz’s previous tenures as well.

“The Punjab police have been effectively made a militant wing of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) and the force has lost all credibility amongst the citizens of the province,” he said, adding that the police were seen more as a force of terror by ordinary citizens.

Imran said the chief minister – aided by his brother Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif –sought to go on a vengeful track and, instead of showing remorse, got ARY News banned as the network showed and exposed the worst kind of police atrocities against PAT workers.

“This is yet another attempt by the Sharifs to silence their political opponents and reflects their undemocratic mindset,” he said. Imran said to equate the ARY News’s a factual coverage of Punjab police to Geo’s 8-hour long vilification campaign against Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) was a massive abuse of state power.

“It is not only an absurdity but a travesty of justice,” he said.
    “ARY had led the critique against Geo and its owner and it was noticed and banned while the government fully allowed the 8-hour uninterrupted campaign targeting of the ISI on Geo,” he added.
    He said the ‘vengeful’ undemocratic behaviour of the Sharifs’ must end, adding that the PTI would continue its struggle to strengthen democracy through its protests against electoral rigging.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 22nd, 2014.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

‘Model Town incident a conspiracy against govt’

ISLAMABAD: Chief Coordinator of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), Siddiq al-Farooq on Sunday said that last week’s incident in Lahore’s Model Town, in which 12 ‘innocent’ persons were killed, was a conspiracy against the elected government.

At least 12 people including Pakistan Awmi Tehreek (PAT) supporters were killed when they clashed with local police on Tuesday.

“PAT chief Dr Tahirul Qadri, who was a Canadian national, wanted to run the affairs of the country and both the Tehreek-i-Minhajul Quran (TMQ) and Pakistan Muslim League (PML-Q) have been exposed,” said Farooq.

He claimed that the plot behind the Model Town incident was prepared by Tahirul Qadri and PML-Q leader Pervaiz Ellahi in their London meeting last month.

Siddiq al-Farooq, who was addressing a press conference here at PML-N Secretariat, said the conspiracy was hatched at a time when the Pakistan Army under the command of Gen Raheel Sharif, was engaged in the operation against militants in North Waziristan.

“Some armed people of TMQ and police personnel faithful to Pervaiz Ellahi were behind the firing,” he alleged.

He claimed that due to fear of being exposed, both TMQ and PML-Q had boycotted the judicial commission formed to probe into the incident.

The PML-N leader hoped that the judicial commission would soon complete its investigation and lay bare the facts about the incident before the nation.

The statement came hours before expected arrival of Tahirul Qadri in Pakistan, who earlier had said that if his supporters are harmed upon his arrival, then Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif would be held responsible and the party would hold protests outside the Prime Minister house.

Farooq, during his press conference today alleged that the PAT chief was pretending to have support of ‘some institutions.’

Recalling the attack on Tahirul Qadri's residence in 1990, Farooq said Qadri himself did not meet the criteria set out in Articles 62 and 63 of the Constitution as he was declared a “liar and actor with penchant for fame” by a high court judge in his inquiry report of the incident.

To a question, he said the PAT chief in a twitter message had advised his workers to lay down their lives.

Siddiq al-Farooq said the Tehreek-i-Minhajul Quran was a non-governmental organization (NGO), but it was being used for political purposes, which was illegal.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1114430/mod...y-against-govt

Thanks
    Pakistan England

Re: Pakistan: Eight die as Lahore police clash with Qadri supporters

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Pakistan: Islamabad police clash with Qadri supporters

Police in Pakistan have fired tear gas to disperse hundreds of supporters of a prominent anti-government cleric in the capital, Islamabad.

Crowds had gathered at the city's airport to welcome Tahirul Qadri from Canada where he lives, but his flight was diverted to Lahore.

He says he plans to lead a peaceful revolt against PM Nawaz Sharif.

At least eight people were killed last week when police in Lahore used live ammunition against his followers.

Police had sealed off roads to Islamabad airport but some of the cleric's supporters - chanting "Islamic revolution" and "long live the army" - managed to break through the security cordon.

Television footage showed Qadri followers armed with sticks and stones fighting running battles with police wielding batons.

"We just want to give a peaceful welcome to our leader but they pounded us with tear gas," said one protester, Reuters news agency reported.

Mr Qadri's flight was rerouted to Lahore "to ensure the safety of the passengers and aircraft", a spokesman for Pakistan's Civil Aviation Authority told AFP news agency.

The daily Emirates flight EK612 from Dubai had approached the Pakistani capital to land but passengers found themselves circling overhead before being diverted several hundred kilometres east.

The cleric's return comes at a tense time, with the military on the offensive against militants in tribal areas bordering Afghanistan after a failed government peace initiative.

Last year Mr Qadri led mass protests against the previous civilian government ahead of general elections.

There is widespread suspicion in Pakistan that Mr Qadri's intervention is being encouraged by Pakistan's powerful military, following recent tensions with the prime minister, says the BBC's Andrew North in Islamabad.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27971351

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

The PAT supporters really roughed up Policemen today and yet I see no sympathy for them on mass media. This dehumanized treatment of Police is what's responsible for their misbehaviour, there's a lack of pride in what they do, instilled by the way the public treats them.
    "Patriotism is my God"- Andrew Carnegie

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    The PAT supporters really roughed up Policemen today and yet I see no sympathy for them on mass media. This dehumanized treatment of Police is what's responsible for their misbehaviour, there's a lack of pride in what they do, instilled by the way the public treats them.
    I am in no ways a PAT supporter, but how would you describe the treatment of the Lahore police that brutally killed 7 PAT workers in broad daylight?

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by SavingFace View Post
    I am in no ways a PAT supporter, but how would you describe the treatment of the Lahore police that brutally killed 7 PAT workers in broad daylight?
    It was terrible, horrible and those responsible should be brought to justice and made an example out of. Yet, using the issue to beat a police officer, and a police officer of a different city I might add, to the point of death for the same issue is hardly a way to deal with the matter.

Right now 70 policemen are in hospital with varying severity of wounds, with at least 9 in critical condition. Dunya was been showing the footage of a policeman who was beaten to the point that he passed out and they later reported that the same man is in hospital with severe head injuries.

What happened in Lahore was a tragedy and a huge blow to the credibility of our law enforcement agencies but what happened in Pindi is by no means any less terrible.
    The Following User Says Thank You to Android For This Useful Post: Superkaif

"Patriotism is my God"- Andrew Carnegie

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

It was terrible, horrible and those responsible should be brought to justice and made an example out of. Yet, using the issue to beat a police officer, and a police officer of a different city I might add, to the point of death for the same issue is hardly a way to deal with the matter.

Right now 70 policemen are in hospital with varying severity of wounds, with at least 9 in critical condition. Dunya was been showing the footage of a policeman who was beaten to the point that he passed out and they later reported that the same man is in hospital with severe head injuries.

What happened in Lahore was a tragedy and a huge blow to the credibility of our law enforcement agencies but what happened in Pindi is by no means any less terrible.
    But the policemen were ruthless the heavy handed way they attacked the PAT activists, it was unacceptable in my opinion.

Thanks
    UK Pakistan

In Pakistan this seems to rarely the case.
    The Following User Says Thank You to Superkaif For This Useful Post: Android

Thanks
    Pakistan United States

Finally home: Standoff on the runway

LAHORE:

After a dramatic homecoming punctuated with hiccups, Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) chief Dr Tahirul Qadri arrived in Pakistan on Monday as the ‘harbinger of a revolution’ — one that ‘will topple the incumbent government’ and rid the country of a myriad of crises.

The Emirates Airline flight EK-612, with 350 passengers on board including Dr Qadri, his aides and media persons, was scheduled to land at Benazir International Airport in Islamabad where a large number of frenzied PAT workers had turned up after defying barricades and roadblocks and after clashing with riot police.

Once the situation started slipping out of its control, the government diverted the flight to Lahore citing security fears. When the flight landed at the Allama Iqbal International Airport, Dr Qadri refused to disembark from the plane. A sizable number of PAT workers had turned up at the airport at short notice to receive their leader.

The Lahore Division commissioner, AIG Police, CCPO and MQM politicians initiated negotiations with Dr Qadri – but in vain. The PAT chief said he would not disembark until the corps commander Lahore or his emissary guaranteed his security because he feared “the Sharifs might have deployed terrorists in police uniform to target me en route to my residence”.

If that is not possible, Dr Qadri said the same flight should be sent back to Islamabad where his supporters had gathered to welcome him. He refused to budge on the two demands.
    However, Sindh Governor Dr Ishratul Ebad saved the situation. He called up Dr Qadri and convinced him to hold talks with Punjab Governor Chaudhry Muhammad Sarwar. He also informed Dr Qadri that the airline has threatened to lodge a plane hijacking complaint which would tarnish Pakistan’s image internationally.

That is when the PAT chief relented.

The Punjab governor boarded the plane and assured Dr Qadri that all his legitimate demands would be met, if he called off his protest. The five-hour-long standoff ended and Dr Qadri left the plane. He, however, refused to travel in the bullet-proof SUV of the Punjab governor and instead called for PML-Q senior leader Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi to come and accompany him.

Cellular services remained suspended in the city during the entire episode. Even the LCDs installed in the waiting lounge were switched off to avoid updates from reaching the PAT activists gathered there. The routine flight operation wasn’t affected, though. A heavy contingent of police was deployed in and around the airport. The police had established pickets on all roads leading to the airport.

Dr Qadri was driven first to Jinnah Hospital where he enquired after the health of party workers who were injured in the June 17 Model Town tragedy. After spending two hours at the hospital, he left for his residence in Model Town from where he went to the Central Secretariat of Minhajul Quran International to address a news conference.

“The world has seen revolutions in Tunisia, Egypt and Iran. Now, it will see a revolution in Pakistan,” an emotionally charged Qadri told a news conference at the Central Secretariat of Minhajul Quran International.
    Dr Qadri accused the government of ‘hijacking’ his flight. “The government has committed another act of terrorism by hijacking my plane,” he added. “State terrorism cannot stop me, and today I’m in your midst to lead the revolution.”

“The government has perpetrated the worst kind of atrocities against PAT workers – which is unprecedented in the country’s history,” he said. He congratulated his supporters for putting up against state terrorism for 14 hours on June 17. He was referring to the deadly police crackdown on PAT workers at the Minhajul Quran Secretariat which left a dozen protesters dead.
    Dr Qadri told his followers that they have set the revolution in motion by sacrificing their lives. “Our revolution is unstoppable now. It will see the end of the present government,” he said, adding that they would avenge all the atrocities committed by the government on the PAT workers.

“O, Nawaz Sharif and Shahbaz Sharif, commit atrocities on my workers that you can bear [after the revolution],” he said. He added that the media would be his right hand in bringing about the revolution.
    The PAT chief said the war that he has waged against the ‘corrupt rulers’ was not for his personal gain. “I command respect for my knowledge of the Holy Quran and Hadith. I’ve come back to lead this war for the common man.”

Dr Qadri, who is also a Canadian national, said that he has brought along all that he owned in Canada. “I haven’t even left back a single pair of shoes or socks,” he claimed. He said that he has come back to fight the oppression of the Sharif brothers.
    The Chaudhrys of Gujrat, who head their own faction of Pakistan Muslim League, have joined hands with the PAT chief in an anti-government alliance. Awami Muslim League chief Sheikh Rashid Ahmed has also lent support to Dr Qadri in his struggle. Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan has been noncommittal, though he condemned the June 17 crackdown on PAT workers.
    Dr Qadri said he would announce his future plan of action after consulting likeminded political groups. “The rulers will attempt to flee the country – but we’ll not allow them to flee. We’ll recover the looted money and land from them,” he added. “I’ll not hold any political office after the revolution. I’ll lead the revolution and elections will be conducted under my supervision.”

The news conference was held in the courtyard of the Minhajul Quran Secretariat where a large number of his party workers and media persons were present. When the news conference began at 7:30pm, it started raining – but no one budge from his/her place.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 24th, 2014.

Thanks
    UK Pakistan

Qadri importing new kind of terrorism to Pakistan: Pervaiz Rasheed

LAHORE / RAWALPINDI: “A new kind of terrorism is being imported into the country by [Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) chief] Tahirul Qadri,” Information Minister Pervaiz Rasheed told media in Rawalpindi on Tuesday.

He claimed that Qadri, who lives in Canada and arrived in Pakistan on Monday, had ordered his supporters to “finish off” the people who combat terrorism and had instructed them to “drown them in a river of blood”.

Referring to the clashes in the twin cities that ensued right before the PAT chief’s arrival in Pakistan, Rasheed said “video footage had showed Qadri’s thugs attacking policemen with sticks,” adding that PAT supporters had intentionally hurt men who “protect Pakistani citizens and stop terrorists”.

“Now everyone knows that these people who call police terrorists were spreading terror themselves,” Rasheed remarked, questioning if this is the kind of “revolution” they want to bring to Pakistan.

During Monday’s clashes, at least 120 people including 45 policemen were injured in the twin cities. The clashes had broken out between police and PAT workers early on June 23 after the supporters asked law enforcers to remove barriers blocking Airport Road near Koral Chowk and the police officials refused.

Rasheed claimed that over 100 policemen were injured in Monday’s clashes. In an impassioned speech, he said that the policemen’s arms had been broken and their legs paralysed, adding that they had suffered internal injuries as well.

The information minister condemned the incident and said that it was highly regrettable.

“I met with the injured and spoke to them,” he said, adding that he wanted to assure the wounded policemen that the government, the citizens, parliamentarians and the civil society of Pakistan were standing by them.

“You are not alone,” he said, addressing the wounded.

Anarchy, not revolution

Earlier today, Punjab Law Minister Rana Mashood also commented on the clashes. Speaking to media in Lahore, he said that the behaviour of PAT supporters depicted anarchy, not ‘a revolution’.

Mashood stated that the government as well as the citizens of the country will not tolerate such behaviour.

Standoff

Commenting on the standoff between the government and Qadri yesterday, the Punjab law minister said that situation became embarrassing for the entire country after the PAT chief refused to disembark the plane in Lahore.

“After Emirates approached the government with regards to the lockdown, the issue became a matter of national reputation,” he explained.

The five-hour standoff had ended after Sindh Governor Dr Ishratul Ebad saved the situation by convincing the PAT chief to negotiate with Punjab Governor Chaudhry Muhammad Sarwar. After boarding Dr Qadri’s plane, Sarwar had assured the PAT chief that all his legitimate demands will be met.

The Sindh governor had also told Dr Qadri that Emirates threatened to lodge a plane hijacking complaint which would tarnish Pakistan’s image internationally.

Plane diversion

Commenting on the plane’s diversion to Lahore, Mashood said that it was not feasible to land in Islamabad.

Authorities in Islamabad had decided to divert the plane to Lahore because of the volatile ground situation. According to government sources, the option to divert the plane to Lahore’s Allama Iqbal International Airportwas not included in the initial plan.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/726270/t...revolutionary/

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Lahore massacre: Worst example of state terrorism

The security situation of Pakistan has changed rapidly for worst in the month of June 2014. Against the will of Pro-Taliban government of PM Nawaz Sherif, the top brass of Pakistan decided to started long awaited war with TTP( Tahreek-a-Taliban) in North and South Waziristan. For years such action was called by UN, US and the west, calling it the epicenter of terrorism across the globe. PM Nawaz Sherif shamefully address the National assembly on the third day of the war under media pressure to announced a full war with Taliban.

Adding to the Prime Minister's frustration and insult to the injury, domestic unrest by the opposition parties, calling on public gathering all across the country against the PLM-N government rigged win, gain majority. Karachi, the economic hub was closed for 4 days by MQM over the capture of their leader Altaf Hussain in London, a favorite cricketer come politician Imran Khan increasing his pressure on voters fraud, having political rallys all across Punjab, demanding a redo and finally pure sunni leader Dr. Tahir-ul- Qadari claiming to shut down the government on his arrival to Pakistan on June 23rd, 2014 from Canada brought so much pressure that the Nawaz government decided to reverse the pressure. .

The federal government felt itself in peril with this pressure and PM asked during media briefing that he government should be given full 5 years to complete and opposition should wait for its own term in 2017. The opposition leadership ignored the PM and announced more peaceful rallies across the country till the PM is ousted.

The clock was ticking and 23rd June was coming close. Government wanted to take an action that will send a clear and loud message that it will do whatever it takes to survive its term in government. The real scare was Dr. Qadari who lives in Canada, a dual citizen but has a huge following in Pakistan. During the previous government of Pakistan People's Party (PPP) he jammed Islamabad with 100,000 people including women, children who staged a protest like Tahir square Egypt. PPP government very tactfully handled the situation with negotiations and the mob was dispersed.

The case will be different this time, if Dr. Tahir ul Qadri tries to destabilize Pakistan this time around. The democracy champions of PLM-N started with direct threats to Dr. Qadri through his minister on Pakistani media. Qadri will be arrested, charged with money laundering on this arrival. Maybe he will be taken into protective custody on his arrival to stop his peaceful demonstration in Islamabad was the rumor all over the country, spread by the government spokespeople.

Knowing Dr. Qadari is also a Canadian citizen, any such harsh action can harm Pakistan's relations with Canada and the US, the task was given to the Punjab government to take amicable action to defuse the situation. A plan was constituted during several meeting in the presence of CM Punjab in which top Police officials, Punjab's interior minister was given a task to spread such a terror that no one should ever consider attending a peaceful political gathering in Punjab against the PLM-N's federal government.

On June 17th, 2014, Punjab police was ordered to remove barricade outside Minhaj ul Quran headquarters which were posted by the orders of Lahore High Court. The Punjab Police started its illegal raid at 2:00 am with bulldozers. By 5:30 am the negotiation between the police and the Sunni organization came to a dead end.

Punjab's minister of interior, Rana Sana ullah sent more enforcement from other cities and had 1500 policemen ordered to remove the barocade by any means. It all started with police using tear gas and batons to disperce the people but soon changed to Live bullets shot a peaceful demonstrators killing 11 people including 2 women shot on the face and 81 critical injured.

It was the worst form of state terrorism against it own people in Pakistan, which was first of its own kind in the country's recent history. The police hired to protect the public was order to kill the public and spread terror across the nation. "Gullu Butt", a PLM-N worker come informant was seen on live TV vandalizing cars and destroying public property, the police was supporting and appreciating, while the TV camera's were recording. All this massacre was a live telecast on most Pakistani channels and the provincial and federal government didn't take any notice till the street of Lahore were colored in blood.

People of Lahore lost their sense of security with such a brutal and criminal act of the government. The entire nation was in shock Addressing via video link, Dr Tahirul Qadri termed police action against Minhajul Quran workers as ‘state terrorism’ and said it would not be tolerated.Opposition parties in the National Assembly staged a walkout in protest over the deaths of Minhajul Quran workers during a clash with police.

I wonder where are all the champion of democracy and free speech in Pakistan, Maybe planning to crush the arrival plans of Qadri on June 23rd, 2014 or planning another attempt of Maligning Pakistan Army with the help of Hamid Mir, The kangro courts or GEO " Sirf Pasia ka laya muilk bach ka Geo.

http://aneyeonpakistan.blogspot.ca/2...-of-state.html

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

This unnecessary violence may break the Sharifs. Could have far fetched consequences.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Model Town clashes: Tribunal refuses to place Shahbaz, Sanaullah on ECL

LAHORE: A judicial tribunal probing the Model Town clashes has turned down an application to place the Punjab chief minister, the former law minister and other officials on the exit control list (ECL).

The application, submitted by Advocate Aftab Ahmed Bajwa, requested that Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, former law minister Rana Sanaullah, former principal secretary to chief minister, former CCPO, former IG and other police and civil officers should be placed on the ECL.

Bajwa pleaded that their names be placed on the ECL so the aforementioned could not leave the country during the investigation of the incident.

However, the tribunal, which is headed by Justice Ali Baqir Najfi and was formed to probe the deadly clashes between the police and Pakistan Awami Tehreek supporters in Lahore earlier this month, stated that it is not the appropriate forum to carry out such actions.

“This tribunal does not feel it appropriate to either order or not order the inclusion of certain persons in the exit control list as there is a proper forum available,” said Najfi.

Advocate Bajwa further held the chief minister responsible for the incident saying that the police acted on his orders. He further deemed Sanaullah a killer and said the police should have arrested him.

He added that victims are terrified of the present rulers and thus, are not appearing before the tribunal to record their statements.

However, ensuring protection for the victims the tribunal asked Bajwa to report who was threatening and who was being threatened. “The tribunal will ensure protection of the injured victims who want to record their statements,” said Najfi.

The advocate requested the tribunal to direct concerned authorities to provide him CCTV recordings of Jinnah Hospital for the number of injured and dead brought to the hospital during the clashes.

Stating that the police was not registering FIRs as a second FIR cannot be registered of a single incident, Bajwa requested the tribunal to order for their registration, adding that there are precedents where the third FIR for a single incident has also been registered.

Further hearings of the tribunal have been adjourned till tomorrow.

A joint investigation team probing the clashes has been directed to submit a report of its daily progress.

Eye witness accounts

A social worker claiming to have witnessed the incident appeared before the tribunal today. Naghmana Yasin said that on the day of the clashes, she went to the Minhajul Quran secretariat where upon entering she saw two policemen firing at a woman. She was asked by the judge to submit her account on a written affidavit.

Another eye witness, Muhammad Arshad, a resident of the area, was also asked to file an affidavit about his account. In his brief verbal statement, he said that fear of present rulers was keeping residents from recording their statements.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/729650/m...aullah-on-ecl/

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

SP Security ‘insisted’ that PAT workers be shot in the legs!

Eight Elite Force personnel tell JIT SP Security Salman Ali Khan ordered them twice to shoot at protesting PAT workers

Say they fired around 200 rounds despite expressing reservations that the wind could alter trajectory of the bullets

The joint investigation team formed by the Punjab government to probe the police firing incident outside Minhajul Quran Secretariat on Friday was told that the SP Security had ordered police personnel to open fire on the protesting Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) workers on June 17.

Elite Force in-charge Sub-Inspector Abdur Rauf, in his statement, alleged that SP Security Salman Ali Khan had ordered them to open fire on the protesters, resulting in the deaths of at least 14 persons and injuries to over 80 others.

The confrontation had started when a 15-member police team tried to remove barriers in front of PAT chief Dr Tahirul Qadri’s house and the Minhaj International Secretariat on the night of June 16.

According to sources, Rauf claimed that Salman Ali Khan had ordered the policemen to shoot at the protesters’ legs to injure them. He said that the policemen expressed their reservations as they feared that wind could alter the trajectory of their bullets which could cause serious injuries to the protesters.

The Elite Force official said that when they did not open fire despite the SP’s order, Inspector Amir Saleem, station house officer of Sabzazar Police Station asked the SP to issue the order again. “Upon receiving the order again, the police personnel fired around 200 rounds at the protesters,” Rauf said in his statement.

Eight Elite Force personnel corroborated Rauf’s account of the incident.

On Thursday, the JIT had detained nine policemen for their alleged role in the deaths of the PAT workers but no FIR has been registered against them as yet.

A senior police official working in the JIT confided that around 150 police officials who took part in the clashes with PAT workers had been interviewed by the JIT.

Eight Elite Force personnel and Sabzazar SHO Inspector Amir Saleem were taken into custody for further interrogation.

The detained Elite Force personnel have been identified as Sub-Inspector Abdur Rauf, Sub-Inspector Athar, Head Constable Naveed, Head Constable Mohsin, Head Constable Khurram, Constable Imran, Constable Javaid, and Constable Shujaat.

The arrests followed former Lahore CCPO Chaudhry Shafique Gujjar’s letter to the JIT, stating that the police high command had not ordered police personnel to open fire at PAT workers and the policemen had taken the decision on their own.

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2014...t-in-the-legs/

Forum Administrator bilalhaider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Model Town clashes: 8 policemen detained

Eight policemen have been detained in connection with the Model Town clashes in Lahore, in what is seen as a major breakthrough following last week’s order by a judicial tribunal set up to probe the deadly incident.

On July 9, the tribunal, headed by Justice Ali Baqar Najfi of the Lahore High Court (LHC), had suggested action be taken against police officials who were involved in the clashes with Pakistan Awami Tehreek workers. Over a dozen PAT workers were killed and over 80 injured during the clashes.

As a result, eight police officials, including former SHO of Sabzazar Police Station, have been detained.

Following the July 9 order, the judge heading the tribunal is said to have received threatening letters.

The tribunal had sought records of the conversation of the Punjab chief minister, his concerned minister and personal secretary, and police high-ups on June 16 and 17, during the time of the incident.

The tribunal had also directed the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to provide information of standard operating procedures (SOPs) of communicating orders issued by him to his subordinates on the ground during any operation — such as the one carried out at the Minhajul Quran secretariat.

Moreover, the tribunal also passed an order for a Joint Investigation Team (JIT) set up to investigate the clashes, directing it to submit technical evidence, such as call records.

Furthermore, the tribunal also ordered the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Intelligence Bureau (IB) and Special Branch for their assistance by sharing their reports regarding the incident.

Additional IGP Altaf Hussain, appearing before the tribunal on behalf of the IGP, informed the tribune that, so far, nothing adverse wad done to the police officials who conducted the operation against the PAT activists.

He said that no notice was issued to any police official responsible for the incident.
    http://tribune.com.pk/story/735132/m...emen-detained/

Forum Administrator bilalhaider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Model Town killings: three constables held

LAHORE: Three police constables attached with two police officers were arrested on Tuesday after they appeared before the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) for recording their statements here at the Robert's Club.

Sources privy to the ongoing investigations into the Model Town killings told Dawn that Constable Mujahid, guard of an additional SP and Constable Kashif (a guard) and a driver, Constable Nadeem, who were attached with an assistant superintendent of police (ASP), were taken into custody after they were shown the footages in which they were firing on Pakistan Awami Tehreek activists.

Lahore Mujahid and Mobiles SP Abdul Raheem Sherazi, DSP Abdullah Jan, three SHOs and three Sub-Inspectors also appeared before the JIT.

Meanwhile, a district and sessions court directed the Joint Investigation Team to produce record of the case to proceed further on an application demanding registration of a murder case against Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, former law minister Rana Sanaullah and others.

Minhajul Quran Secretariat Administration Director Jawad Hamid filed the petition.

Model Town probe: Tribunal gets recording of CM-others talks

The Faisal Town station house officer (SHO) was directed on the last hearing to ensure production of the case record. However, he replied that the record was still with the JIT. At this the judge ordered the JIT to furnish the record on July 19.

The petitioner alleged the respondents were directly involved in killing innocent people and the police were reluctant to register a murder case against them.

He asked the court to order the police to book all respondents under murder charges.
    http://www.dawn.com/news/1119575/mod...onstables-held

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Surprisingly looks like the 8 will get justice.

Thanks
    Pakistan England

ISI gets phone records of Shahbaz, 17 others for analysis

Agency’s deputy director says data will be analysed in 48 hours

Justice Najfi refuses to keep proceedings in-camera

JIT sources say five PAT supporters who opened fire on police have been identified

The one-person judicial commission investigating the Model Town incident on Wednesday rejected a petition to keep its investigation under wraps, as it handed over the call records of senior Punjab government officials, including the chief minister, to the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) for analysis.

As the commission’s investigation opened on Wednesday, Justice Ali Baqir Najfi expressed displeasure over the failure of the directors of intelligence agencies to appear before it. Subsequently, he issued notices for them.

Later, ISI Deputy Director Asad Ali Khan appeared before the commission and submitted a report on the ongoing investigation. The commission also summoned a report from the police pertaining to the security of those supporting the investigation.

Justice Najfi also rejected a request seeking to prevent media coverage of the commission’s proceedings. He said the media was an independent body and nobody would be allowed to repress its freedom, adding that the matter had been highlighted because the media had operated as an independent institution.

Meanwhile, representatives of three cellular companies – Mobilink, Ufone and Warid Telecom – presented details of the phone calls of Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, former law minister Rana Sanaullah, CM’s former principal secretary Dr Touqeer Shah and 15 others made on June 16 and 17. The commission handed over the data to ISI’s Khan, who said that the data’s analysis would be completed within 48 hours.

The judge later adjourned the hearing till Friday.

JIT MAKES A ‘BREAKTHROUGH’:

Meanwhile, sources in the joint investigation team (JIT) formed by the Punjab government to probe the Model Town clashes told Pakistan Today that they had tracked down five Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) workers who had allegedly opened fired on the police personnel.

According to the sources, 12 rounds had been fired from two Kalashnikov assault rifles that were recovered from Minhaj University, adding that the bullet shells had matched the guns during forensic examination. They claimed that 34 bullets had been fired from three pistols recovered from the university and the shells perfectly matched the weapons.

The sources said that the JIT had also been able to identify the five PAT workers who had fired the weapons but no decision has been taken as yet regarding their arrests.

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2014...-for-analysis/

Thanks
    Pakistan France

‘Qadri uncooperative in Model Town incident probe’

LAHORE: Punjab Minister for Law Rana Mashhood says Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) leader Tahirul Qadri is not cooperating with the team probing the Model Town tragedy, adding that the inquiry tribunal is doing its duty impartially and facts will be exposed in its report.

In a statement on Sunday, the minister said the PAT leader should first surrender his Canadian nationality and then talk about change in the system of Pakistan. He said how Mr Qadri could talk about the change in the Constitution as he had no political status, adding that the PAT leader should first become a parliament member and then try to bring the change in the system in the limits of the Constitution. Tahirul Qadri should set a personal example of sacrifice and sacrifice his Canadian nationality for love for Pakistan, he said.

Sana wants Qadri be also grilled

Mr Mashhood said the energies wasted by Qadri against the government should have been utilised against terrorism and in favour of Zarb-e-Azb and stressed upon him to quit telling lies and jugglery.

Published in Dawn, July 21st , 2014

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast