Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J-20 Mighty Dragon stealth fighter

Thanks
    Technical term for two-toned paint on Chengdu J-20 radome is "Adaptive RAM"

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Deducing properties of two-toned paint on Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter radome

The different-colored paint on the J-20 radome is transparent to X-band radar waves due to necessity.

3. However, the most elegant solution is to have a radome paint composed of "phase change material" (PCM). I just don't know if the material currently exists to permit switching back-and-forth between transparency and opaqueness to X-band radar waves. Basically, I'm looking for a material where I can run an electric current through it to change its optical property with respect to X-band radar.

[Note: Thank you to Greyboy2 for the picture.]
    Defence R&D Canada: Review of Radar Absorbing Materials (from page 23)

"4.5 Adaptive RAM (Dynamically adaptive RAM)

The potential to make adaptive absorbers has been explored. Mechanical devices that change the spacer thickness using a lossless dielectric fluid filled cell behind the resistive sheet have been explored, (see GB patent 9302394.3 1993). More practical methods have looked at tuning the absorption by changing the sheet impedance.[85-89,158-164] [22] This methodology is akin to circuit analog materials where the capacitance and resistance of the impedance sheet can be tuned."

----------

We can now guess at the rest of the properties of the two-toned Adaptive RAM. The two-toned Adaptive RAM is probably controlled by an on-board computer. You change the orientation of the nanoparticles (which act as miniature EM waveguides such as plasmon resonance) inside the RAM material via control by an electric field, which can be varied.

The goals of Adaptive RAM are twofold. Firstly, Adaptive RAM should allow you to cancel radar from multiple bands. Secondly, Adaptive RAM allows you to maximally reduce the radar reflection from specific directions.
    The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post: Greater China,grey boy 2,Neo

Last edited by Martin; 13th November 2012 at 17:03.
    Watch my J-15 Flying Shark video with 23,038 views at youtube.com/watch?v=xs1kEwckSto
    "China's J-20 stealth fighter" with 96,510 views at youtube.com/watch?v=1EBztMJBhAs

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

the image shows a similar approach of mounting the engine from below into the fuselague just like seen in the SU-27 family of fighter jets.

Question I have regarding the design of exhausts of both J-20 and J-31. (nozzles).. if anyone can answer

is this shape in progress or a final design? I mean will the flat cover come on top of them or will they be done away with completely.

Also would the flat nozzles come as a part of the Chinese WS-15 engine or would they be part of the main body/ fuselage ?
    reason to ask this question is if flat nozzle has nothing to do with the finalisation of engine then why that bit is still pending?

looking at F-22 it seems like they are part of the fuselage and are only detached to slide the engine in and then put back in place.
    is that alteration on hold until the JWS-15 engine is finalised and cleared for J-20?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat nozzle.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	2031
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irfan Baloch For This Useful Post: grey boy 2,Neo

Last edited by Irfan Baloch; 13th November 2012 at 14:30.

Thanks
    Why does the RQ-170 UAV have two humps on its wings?

One of the harder issues for me is to decide where to put my posts. My real interest is in discussing stealth technology and placing a post about the RQ-170 in an Iran-captures-RQ 170 thread doesn't really make sense.

I think I'll put some posts in this thread to discuss stealth technology. The topic selection may look eclectic, but it all revolves around stealth and counter-stealth technologies.

Here is the post for today. There are more coming, but I don't really have a lot of stamina to put up too many posts in one day. I've been meaning to discuss some of these topics, but I've been putting it off. I'm a habitual procrastinator.

I'll sketch a short outline to remind myself to discuss the following topics.

1. RQ-170 UAV two-hump design
    2. F-35 "supercruise" - two ways to cheat and claim supercruise. Mention Eurofighter "supercruise."
    3. F-35 limitations
    4. Russian counter-stealth NNIIRT 1L119E Nebo-SVU VHF AESA radar.
    Mention bombing counterstealth radars to eliminate counterstealth capabilities. Also mention Chinese Type 052C destroyer counterstealth radar. Bomb that too if you want to get rid of counterstealth capability.
    5. "Lossy" materials

Let's get started.

----------

7 Secret Ways America's Stealth Armada Stays Off the Radar | Danger Room | Wired.com

"7 Secret Ways America’s Stealth Armada Stays Off the Radar
    By David Axe

Radio Silence

A stealth plane's communications could also betray its location. In the case of the RQ-170, the dish for the drone's satellite radio hardware itself is a possible give-away, as its antenna is potentially highly "reflective," or non-stealthy. It could be that's why Lockheed Martin designed the Sentinel spy drone with two distinctive humps on its back, each apparently containing a separate satellite dish. "If your UAV is being illuminated by radar, you turn to place that radar on one side of the aircraft and use the antenna on the opposite, 'shadow' side of the aircraft to communicate," Sweetman explained.

In the case of the B-2, F-22 and F-35, the bigger problem is how to communicate with other planes without sending out some obvious signal that can be tracked back to the source. Voice radio is out of the question. "As soon as I talk, I give myself away," said Mike Therrien, an Air Force comms expert. Likewise, non-voice radio datalinks used by older jets are too easy to detect. Lockheed installed on the 187 Raptors a short-range, low-power datalink that is minimally detectable. And the Joint Strike Fighter is getting a new, purpose-made, stealthy datalink that's also being added to the B-2.

But both of these links have problems interfacing with older comms networks, sometimes requiring stealth warplanes to be accompanied by special EQ-4 drones or E-11 manned planes with radio translation systems installed.

Photo: Press TV"
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post: grey boy 2,Neo

Watch my J-15 Flying Shark video with 23,038 views at youtube.com/watch?v=xs1kEwckSto
    "China's J-20 stealth fighter" with 96,510 views at youtube.com/watch?v=1EBztMJBhAs

Thanks
    Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter could be navalized as carrier-borne aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser (on another forum)
    Say cheese.

Since the Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter is smaller than the J-15 Flying Shark naval fighter, the J-20 could be navalized as carrier-borne aircraft (e.g. after strengthening airframe, double the front wheel, adding tailhook, folding wings, salt-resistance treatment for exposed metal parts, stronger shock absorbers, etc.).
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post: grey boy 2,Neo

Last edited by Martin; 28th December 2012 at 04:37.

Thanks
    Four reasons to watch this Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter video

1. There are many close-ups of the Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter.

2. In the frontal view, the height of the landing gears is noticeable. The thought of plenty of clearance for landing on an aircraft carrier comes to mind.

3. I think this is the first video where I clearly saw the Chengdu J-20 aileron move.

4. I also think this is the first video where I saw the Chengdu J-20 deploy its drag chutes.

If I were the video poster, I would have auto-corrected the color before posting. It only takes two hours of dedicated computer processing time. However, I'm just nitpicking an otherwise excellent video from MadLancia.
    The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post: Express,grey boy 2,Neo

Last edited by Martin; 30th December 2012 at 20:32.

Thanks
    F-35 cockpit canopy design betrays its bomb-truck heritage

The Chinese Shenyang J-31, Chengdu J-20, and American F-22 stealth fighter pilots can see behind their airplanes due to the bubble cockpit canopy.

In contrast, the F-35 pilot cannot see behind his jet fighter. It is obscured. The F-35 cockpit canopy design is a legacy of its original design as a bomb truck.

Why would a F-35 pilot need to see behind his plane if his job is to bomb a ground target? Hence, the F-35 is an inferior design and not really suitable for its revised purpose as a multirole fighter to include air superiority. Lockheed Martin needs to fix the F-35 canopy design.

A F-35 pilot can't see behind his airplane. This is a serious disability against air-superiority fighters (e.g Shenyang J-31 or Chengdu J-20) in a dogfight or if the adversary is hunting you down from behind.

Shenyang J-31 pilot has full situational awareness through his cockpit bubble canopy.

Chengdu J-20 pilot can see the airspace all around him, because of the cockpit bubble canopy.

F-22 and F-15 pilots also enjoy a 360-degree view from their cockpit bubble canopies.

In conclusion, the current F-35 cockpit canopy design bears a strong resemblance to the F-111 bomb truck. Both have a very restricted aft view (or poor visibility).

References for photos:

Lockheed Martin F-35 Program Flight Test Update | INTERNATIONAL AVIATION NEWS
    New Images of Chinese J-31/ F-60 Shen Fei Stealth Fighter Jet ~ Chinese Military Review
    The Chengdu J-20 photograph is from Greyboy2. I have no idea where he found it.
    http://air-attack.com/images/single/...F-15-F-22.html
    Archivo:F-111 2.jpg - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Last edited by Martin; 3rd January 2013 at 15:57.

Thanks
    Differences between Chengdu J-20 and Lockheed F-22 design philosophies

The Chengdu J-20 is a "genuine Very Low Observable design" except for round engine nozzles, which can be fixed.

The Chengdu J-20 and Lockheed F-22 are optimized for different functions (see citation below).

The Chengdu J-20 is not a larger F-22 with canards. The J-20 has no rear horizontal stabilizers, which is present on the F-22 quad-tail design.

The combination of the canards, delta wing, and rhomboid vertical stabilizers indicate a design strategy to optimize for supersonic flight. Basically, the J-20's main purpose is to stealthily fly long distances in supercruise.

The F-22 has a diamond wing with a large surface area and large trapezoidal vertical stabilizers to provide stability. Additionally, the F-22 has thrust-vectored flat nozzles. It looks like the designers of the F-22 were optimizing for maneuverability in close combat.

The design philosophies behind the J-20 and F-22 are completely different (see reference below).

Also, you will note the J-20 has active vertical stabilizers and the F-22 has static vertical stabilizers. My guess is the J-20 has active vertical stabilizers to increase its maneuverability.

The Chengdu J-20 designers did something very clever. They built canard, delta-wing, and rhomboid vertical stabilizers to optimize for supercruise (which enlarges the combat radius during supersonic combat). However, they designed an active vertical stabilizer to work in concert with the canards and ventral stabilizers to increase maneuverability. Overall, an ingenious J-20 design that maximized supercruise range and combined it with very good maneuverability.

Reference: Aspects of Wing Design for Transonic and Supersonic Combat

Citation:

The Strategic Impact of China's J-XX [J-20] Stealth Fighter

"Claims that the Chengdu design is a “Sino-F-22A” make little sense, if the latter were true the aircraft would be considerably smaller. Unlike the FB-22 proposals, the J-XX [J-20] is clearly intended for air combat and using a canard-delta configuration will provide both efficient supersonic cruise, and good supersonic and transonic manoeuvre performance if fitted with engines of sufficient thrust rating[vii]."
    The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post: Express,grey boy 2,Neo

Last edited by Martin; 9th January 2013 at 05:01.

Thanks
    F-35B Marine-version fan-enclosure "bump" makes it less stealthy

Do you remember my complaint over the past one or two years about the large slab of fuselage behind the Russian T-50, which will reflect radar and make it less stealthy (see reference below)?

Well, there is a similar design problem on the American F-35B. The enclosure for the large fan (to enable landing vertically) creates a large slab of fuselage behind the F-35B cockpit. This compromises stealth.

F-35B fan-enclosure creates a large slab-like surface on the fuselage behind the cockpit. This makes the F-35B less stealthy from the side aspect.

How Good Is The World's Most Expensive Fighter Jet? : NPR

"How Good Is The World's Most Expensive Fighter Jet?
    by Larry Abramson
    January 02, 2013 3:45 AM
    But to do that, manufacturer Lockheed had to mess with the sleek shape of this plane and add a special feature. The Marine version sports a noticeable bump behind the cockpit; that's the home of a powerful fan.

The fan, Levine explains, provides the thrust and lift needed for the aircraft to perform short takeoffs and vertical landings.

Vertical landings let the jet land like a helicopter, and let it take off on short runways, critical functions for the Marines. But that bump also makes the plane less stealthy, and it has added greatly to the cost.

The Marine version of the plane costs more than $160 million, nearly one-third more expensive than the Air Force variant, which costs nearly $130 million. And trying to hide a tailhook for carrier landings inside the Navy version has also been a problem. (article continues)"

----------

Reference:

Russian T-50 has a round and tall slab of radar-reflecting fuselage behind the cockpit. If we were shining a radar at it from this angle, the slab of fuselage would make the T-50 much more detectable.

Last edited by Martin; 22nd January 2013 at 11:11.

Thanks
    The F-35 was originally designed as a sleek bomb truck. They've modified the F-35 and loaded it with air-to-air missiles and a cannon. The F-35 is now an overweight multi-role fighter with terrible linear and lateral acceleration performance.

----------

Pentagon lowers F-35 performance bar

"Pentagon lowers F-35 performance bar
    By: Dave Majumdar Washington DC
    14 Jan 2013

The US Department of Defense is lowering the performance bar for the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter according to a new report by the Pentagon's director of operational test and evaluation (DOT&E).

The specifications for all three variants pertaining to transonic acceleration and sustained turn rates have been reduced. Worst hit in terms of acceleration is the US Navy's F-35C carrier-based model.

"The program announced an intention to change performance specifications for the F-35C, reducing turn performance from 5.1 to 5.0 sustained g's and increasing the time for acceleration from 0.8 Mach to 1.2 Mach by at least 43 seconds," reads the report prepared by J Michael Gilmore, the Pentagon's DOT&E. "These changes were due to the results of air vehicle performance and flying qualities evaluations."

The US Air Force F-35A's time has slipped by eight seconds while the US Marine Corps short take-off vertical landing (STOVL) F-35B's time has slipped by 16 seconds. However, turn rates for both the A and B models have been impacted more severely than the USN variant. Sustained turning performance for the F-35B is being reduced from 5G to 4.5G while the F-35A sinks from 5.3G to 4.6G according to the report.

Lockheed Martin

All three variants are having problems with their horizontal tails. "Horizontal tail surfaces are experiencing higher than expected temperatures during sustained high‑speed / high‑altitude flight, resulting in delamination and scorching of the surface coatings and structure," the report reads. "All variants were restricted from operations outside of a reduced envelope until the test team added instrumentation to the tailbooms to monitor temperatures on the tail surfaces."

Meanwhile, the F-35B and C variants continue to have issues with transonic roll-off and buffeting. On the F-35B, the program introduced vehicle systems software to reduce rudder and flaperon hinge moment in the transonic/supersonic region. "The program expected to see improvements in transonic wing roll-off with these changes, but results were not available at the end of November 2012," the report reads.

Transonic buffet is more severe on the F-35C compared to the other variants due to its larger wing. "The program is making plans for investigating how to reduce the impact of transonic roll-off in the F-35C with the use of wing spoilers; however, detailed test plans are not complete," the report reads.

Meanwhile, the aircraft's crucial helmet-mounted display still has problems with jittery images and is not meeting specifications for night vision acuity. Additionally, a new problem called "green glow" has been discovered where light from the cockpit avionics displays leak into the helmet-mounted display and degrade visual acuity. However, the image latency is now within tolerances. "Latency of the projected imagery from the DAS [distributed aperture system] is currently down to 133 milliseconds, below the human factors derived maximum of 150 milliseconds, but still requires additional testing to verify adequacy," the report reads.

Perhaps in worst shape is the F-35's software. According to the report, even the initial Block 1 software package is not complete, some 20% remains to be delivered and flight tested. An initial version of the more advanced, but still not combat capable, Block 2A software was delivered four months late to flight test. "In eight subsequent versions released to flight test, only a limited portion of the full, planned Block 2A capability (less than 50 percent) became available and delivered to production," the report reads. "The program made virtually no progress in the development, integration, and laboratory testing of any software beyond 2B. Block 3i software, required for delivery of Lot 6 aircraft and hosted on an upgraded processor, has lagged in integration and laboratory testing."

Meanwhile, structural durability testing continues, but the F-35B has hit a snag. "The program halted testing in December 2012 after multiple cracks were found in a bulkhead flange on the underside of the fuselage during the 7,000-hour inspection," the report reads. "Root cause analysis, correlation to previous model predictions, and corrective action planning were ongoing at the time of this report."

Lockheed could not immediately offer a substantive comment. "Our experts are going through it so it will be a while before we have detailed questions like yours answered," the company says, but adds, 'From an Operational Test and Evaluation perspective, we fully expect to deliver a qualified product to OT&E as scheduled.'"

Thanks
    China Pakistan

Re: J-20 Mighty Dragon stealth fighter

This thread need to be regulary updated, J-20's progress faster than expected.

WS-13B Development

J-20 will enter full operational service and be combat deployed by 2016, it is confirmed!
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaptorRX For This Useful Post: grey boy 2,The Quantifier

Thanks
    China Pakistan

China's J-20 fighter completes 2nd test flight

July 1, 2013

By Chou Hui-ying and Y.L. Kao

Taipei (CNA): A second prototype of China's J-20, China's fifth-generation stealth fighter, has completed a second test flight, according to the People's Daily, China's most-circulated newspaper.

In addition to what was described as a low altitude flight test, the J-20 aircraft No. 2002 also conducted an in-flight fuel-dump test, the report said, without specifying when the tests took place.

Chinese military expert Song Xinzhi said in an interview with a Beijing television station that if the J-20 fighter becomes part of the China's armed forces, its combat radius will cover all of the Spratly Island archipelago in the South China Sea.

Talking about the J-20's role in protecting China's sovereignty claims over the South China Sea, Song said the J-20 fighter has a longer range than other heavy fighters because it has the space to be outfitted with large-volume tanks. The Su-27 and J-11 fighters have a range of about 3,600 kilometers, while the J-20 fighter has a range of more than 4,000 kilometers, Song said.

That would make the combat radius of the J-20 aircraft about 1,500-2,000 kilometers, meaning that if it took off from Hainan Island, it could cover the entire Spratly Island chain, Song said.

The development will only make China's neighbors more nervous about its extension of power into the South China Sea, which has recently stoked disputes with the Philippines and Vietnam. Taiwan, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, and China claim all or part of the South China Sea as their territory.

The J-20 is China's latest generation, stealth twin-engine fighter developed by the Chengdu Aircraft Industry Group for the Chinese People's Liberation Army Air Force. The first prototype made its maiden flight in January 2011, and the aircraft is expected to become fully operational between 2017 and 2019.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaptorRX For This Useful Post: grey boy 2,The Quantifier

Thanks
    China Pakistan

Thanks
    China Pakistan

A quick update on China's stealth fighter program: Photos newly published on a Chinese Web sites show what might be a third prototype J-20 stealth jet.

China has two different types of stealthy-looking fighters: the large J-20 and the smaller J-31. Many speculate that because of its large size, the J-20 is high-speed interceptor designed to fly out and shoot down enemy bombers -- similar to the old Soviet MiG-25 Foxbat -- or that it is a high-speed stealthy bomber designed to use a combination of stealth and speed to penetrate enemy air defenses and fire cruise missiles or bombs at targets such as bases or ships.

The latest photos show a J-20 with open compartments on the forward sections of its fuselage, which may contain avionics, communications gear or sensors. It is also worth noting that the third aircraft appears to have a different nose radome than its sibling J-20s, meaning that this jet may also contain an Active Electronically Scanned Array radar. All of this suggests the Chinese may be testing the sensors it plans to include on production J-20s. Still, without confirmation from the Chinese air force, this is pure speculation.

Photos of the first two J-20 prototypes, dubbed J-20 2001 and J-20 2002, have been appearing on Chinese Web forums for nearly two years, with the first jet making its maiden flight in early 2011.

The smaller J-31, revealed in September, appears to blatantly copy the shape of two American-made fighters: Lockheed Martin's F-22 Raptor and F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. (It's worth pointing out that Lockheed's F-35 program was badly hacked several years ago. Loads of information was stolen, forcing a costly and time consuming redesign of several systems.) Little is known about the J-31 or what it will be used for.

http://killerapps.foreignpolicy.com/...moving_forward

Thanks
    China China

Chinese delegation sent to Russia to discuss stealth fighter engine
    Published November 16, 2013

SOURCE: WANT CHINA TIMES

A Russian Saturn AL-31 engine (Internet Photo)

A Chinese delegation was last month sent to the plant of the Moscow Machine-building Production Association, a Russian engine manufacturer also known as Salyut or Salut, to discuss cooperation on the development of the engine for the Chengdu J-20, China’s first stealth fighter, the Hong Kong-based Wen Wei Po reported on Nov. 11.

The visit of the Chinese delegation was first reported on Salyut’s official website on Oct. 31. The delegation was led by Xu Qiliang, the vice chairman of the Central Military Commission of the Communist Party of China, according to the company’s website, and was accompanied by Sergey Shoigu, Russia’s defense minister. Vladislav Masalov, the general director of Salyut, stressed the importance of Russia’s cooperation with China in developing the new aircraft engine.

With the permission of the Russian government, Xu and his delegation was allowed to visit Salyut’s workshop, engine testing facility, production line and museum. Back in 2005, representatives from Beijing signed a contract worth US$300 million with Salyut to purchase 100 AL-31FN engines. It was the largest sale for Rosoboronexport, the state intermediary agency for Russia’s exports/imports of defense-related and dual use products, technologies and services, in 2005. By 2006, another contract was signed between Salyut and Shenyang Liming Aero-Engine Group Corporation to produce engines for Chinese aircraft.

As the Chengdu J-20 does not as yet have an adequate engine, it is believed by many experts in Russia that the fighter is likely to be equipped with the more advanced AL-31FM1. Wen Wei Po said that through investing with Russia in an engine plant, China will eventually gain the know-how it needs to design its own high-performance engines in the future. In turn, the trade and investments will help Russia’s economy.
    The Following User Says Thank You to Red Dragon For This Useful Post: grey boy 2

Thanks

Indium tin oxide is a candidate for transparent RAM

What is the composition of transparent RAM (ie. radar absorbment material) for a fifth-generation stealth fighter? One answer is indium tin oxide.

----------

Japanese Stealth Demonstrator ATD-X to Follow F-22 Configuration | Aviation Week

"Finally, here's the ATD-X canopy, which uses indium tin oxide to disperse radio energy."
    The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post: Felix,grey boy 2,Red Dragon

Thanks
    United States United States

China seems to be planning some serious avionics out there. Another advanced fighter plane into its arsenal.
    The Following User Says Thank You to AftonFitz For This Useful Post: grey boy 2

Thanks

DARPA says America is gradually losing the “strategic advantage” of stealth aircraft

I agree with DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency). China understands stealth technology very well. Since China has built the Chengdu J-20 and Shenyang J-31 stealth fighter prototypes, it is almost a certainty that China can detect stealth fighter aircraft.

----------

Hypersonic missiles: Speed is the new stealth | The Economist

"Speed is the new stealth
    Hypersonic weapons: Building vehicles that fly at five times the speed of sound is amazingly hard, but researchers are trying
    Jun 1st 2013 | From the print edition
    Last year a DARPA statement noted that America is gradually losing the 'strategic advantage' that its stealth warplanes have long provided, as other countries’ stealth and counter-stealth capabilities continue to improve. Instead, DARPA suggested, America will need 'the new stealth' of hypersonic vehicles."
    The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post: Felix,greencold,grey boy 2,manuu,Red Dragon

Thanks

Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter tests new white RAM (radar absorbent material)

[Note: Thank you to Greyboy2 for the picture.]
    The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post: Felix,grey boy 2,Red Dragon,The Quantifier

Thanks
    China England

Significant new developments for the J-20

We've already seen the new RAM but here's a far more significant development (or more):

1) New shaping of the inlet, as well as a slight increase in bulge of the DSI. Does this suggest a new engine (as the airflow entering the engines have now changed)? Exciting times...with some luck it might even be a pair of early WS-15 prototypes.

2) Introduction of EOTS window below the nose of the aircraft (F-35 esque).

3) Canards look slightly thinner, which reduces frontal RCS. (although it could simply be perspective and the new paint job wrecking havok with percieved dimensions).

4) HUD looks slightly enlarged, with the shaping changing from a rectangular to a stretched octagonal shape from the looks of things.

5) External weapon hardpoints have been modified to be more streamlined. Again, I reckon this is a move to reduce front RCS.

6) Detonation cords lining the new canopy. Suggests a new ejection system for low altitude ejection (according to no_name).

Plane looks even more sexier than before from the front now. Looking forward to seeing more of what the guys at Chengdu can design.

(Thanks to no_name from SDF for the first image, xiabonan for the second)
    The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Quantifier For This Useful Post: Felix,greencold,grey boy 2,Martin,Red Dragon

Last edited by The Quantifier; 17th January 2014 at 01:28.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by The Quantifier View Post
    Significant new developments for the J-20

We've already seen the new RAM but here's a far more significant development (or more):

1) New shaping of the inlet, as well as a slight increase in bulge of the DSI. Does this suggest a new engine (as the airflow entering the engines have now changed)? Exciting times...with some luck it might even be a pair of early WS-15 prototypes.

2) Introduction of EOTS window below the nose of the aircraft (F-35 esque).

3) Canards look slightly thinner, which reduces frontal RCS. (although it could simply be perspective and the new paint job wrecking havok with percieved dimensions).

4) HUD looks slightly enlarged, with the shaping changing from a rectangular to a stretched octagonal shape from the looks of things.

5) External weapon hardpoints have been modified to be more streamlined. Again, I reckon this is a move to reduce front RCS.

6) Detonation cords lining the new canopy. Suggests a new ejection system for low altitude ejection (according to no_name).

Plane looks even more sexier than before from the front now. Looking forward to seeing more of what the guys at Chengdu can design.

(Thanks to no_name from SDF for the first image, xiabonan for the second)
    Looks like a nice unit. Good job done here
    The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Felix For This Useful Post: grey boy 2,Martin,The Quantifier

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast