Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkish Affairs

Thanks
    UK Pakistan

Re: Turkey Affairs

Quote Originally Posted by Olcayto View Post
    [MENTION=5]Superkaif[/MENTION]

İn the case of İtaly.

The İtalian football federation, took the duty of punishing their clubs on them selves.

Turkish football federation didn't do this. They thought as long as they don't give a punishment nothing would happen.
    They didn't amticipate that UEFA would fulfill this duty if TFF would neglect their duty.

İ as a galatasaray supporter am happy that justice has prevailed. İ'm only ashamed that this justice had to be done by a foreign institute.
    I love watching Galatasaray - Drogba, Sneijder, Eboue, Melo, Yilmaz and Elamandar are my fav players.
    It is still disappointing for the other 2 main teams to be punished like this as it will have an effect in the standard etc.

Thanks
    Turkey Turkey

Hell!!! We're pretty damn sure that guys like you would be happy [MENTION=3918]Olcayto[/MENTION]

Thanks
    Turkey Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Hell!!! We're pretty damn sure that guys like you would be happy [MENTION=3918]Olcayto[/MENTION]
    You mean Galatasaray fans like me ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sinan For This Useful Post: Express,Felix,Neptune

Thanks
    Pakistan UK

Galatasaray are touring the UK at the moment. Drogba kicking ass
    The Following User Says Thank You to KingKong For This Useful Post: Sinan

Thanks
    Turkey Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Muhahahahahahhaha,

Oh my my,

do we have a flashlight-garden (fener-bahçe) supporter among our midst?
    The Following User Says Thank You to Olcayto For This Useful Post: Sinan

Thanks
    Turkey Turkey

Turkey beefs up military presence near Syria border after clashes

Turkey is beefing up its military presence along the Syrian border following clashes between People’s Defense Units (YPG), the militant wing of the Democratic Union Party (PYD), and al-Qaeda linked al-Nusra Front.

Turkish F-16 jets and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) were scrambled from their base in the southeastern province of Diyarbakır for patrolling over the border town of Ras al-Ayn, daily Hürriyet reported citing İhlas News Agency.

YPG and al-Nusra Front have been engaged in a fight for three days in the Syrian town of Ras al-Ayn, near the Turkish border town of Ceylanpınar in the southeastern province of Şanlıurfa.

The Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) also dispatched soldiers and tanks to the border. Turkey had returned fire into Syrian territory first on June 17, after shots fired from the Syrian side killed one Turkish citizen and seriously wounded another one.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tur...&NewsCatID=341

Thanks
    Bangladesh United States

Quote Originally Posted by Sinan View Post
    Turkey beefs up military presence near Syria border after clashes

Turkey is beefing up its military presence along the Syrian border following clashes between People’s Defense Units (YPG), the militant wing of the Democratic Union Party (PYD), and al-Qaeda linked al-Nusra Front.

Turkish F-16 jets and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) were scrambled from their base in the southeastern province of Diyarbakır for patrolling over the border town of Ras al-Ayn, daily Hürriyet reported citing İhlas News Agency.

YPG and al-Nusra Front have been engaged in a fight for three days in the Syrian town of Ras al-Ayn, near the Turkish border town of Ceylanpınar in the southeastern province of Şanlıurfa.

The Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) also dispatched soldiers and tanks to the border. Turkey had returned fire into Syrian territory first on June 17, after shots fired from the Syrian side killed one Turkish citizen and seriously wounded another one.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tur...&NewsCatID=341
    I feel Turkey has been itching to get involved in the Syrian affair. I believe for 2 reasons. First it takes attention away from the government at home and secondly Nato. USA and Israel pressure.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Turkey responds to fire from Syria, army says

The Turkish army says it has responded to fire coming from the Syrian side of the border.

"The Turkish army fired at predetermined targets near Syria's Tal-Khalaf village (southwest of Ras al-Ain) with machine guns as part of the rules of engagement," The Turkish General Staff said in a statement issued on Friday.

Earlier in the day, Turkey deployed military units along its border with Syria following clashes between a Syrian Kurdish armed party and al-Qaida-linked al-Nusra Front, said a report by Turkey’s Hurriyet Daily News.

The report added that Turkish F-16 jets and unmanned aerial vehicles had been scrambled from southeastern Turkey for patrolling over the border.

Fierce clashes continue in northern Syria between Kurdish fighters and Takfiri militants who accuse all other Muslims of being infidels.

Also on Friday, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said the country would respond to any incident on its borders immediately.

"From now on, we will give necessary response to any threat, regardless of whatever group it comes from," the Turkish foreign minister stated.

The Syria crisis began in March 2011, and many people, including large numbers of soldiers and security personnel, have been killed in the violence.

The Syrian government says that the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants are foreign nationals.

Damascus says the West and its regional allies, such as Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey, are supporting the militants.

In an interview broadcast on Turkish television in April, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said that if the militants take power in Syria, they could destabilize the entire Middle East region for decades.

“If the unrest in Syria leads to the partitioning of the country, or if the terrorist forces take control… the situation will inevitably spill over into neighboring countries and create a domino effect throughout the Middle East and beyond,” he stated.

NT/MHB

http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/0...om-syria-army/

Thanks
    Pakistan UK

Kurd militants give Turkey 'final warning' on peace deal

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Kurdish militants issued what they said was a "final warning" to Turkey on Friday to take concrete steps to advance a peace process aimed at ending a three-decade insurgency, or be responsible for it grinding to a halt.
    Jailed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan and Ankara launched peace talks last October to halt a conflict which has killed 40,000 people and blighted Turkey's mainly Kurdish southeast.
    Kurdish leaders have called on the AK Party (AKP) government to launch reforms set out under the talks, but Ankara has said the Kurds need to keep their side of the bargain by speeding up the withdrawal of their fighters to northern Iraq.
    "As a movement we are warning the AKP government for the last time ... If concrete steps are not taken in the shortest time on the subjects set out by our people and the public, the process will not advance and the AKP government will be responsible," the PKK said on one of its websites.
    The reforms include steps to boost the rights of the Kurdish minority, including abolishing an anti-terrorism law under which thousands have been imprisoned for links to the PKK, granting full Kurdish-language education and lowering the threshold of votes which parties need to enter parliament.
    As the process has faltered, there has been an increase in militant activity in mainly Kurdish southeast Turkey, which commentators say will complicate the government's task of enacting reforms without inflaming nationalist sentiment.
    Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan has invested considerable political capital in the process ahead of elections next year and is facing the biggest test of his decade in power after weeks of often violent anti-government protests.
    OCALAN'S HEALTH
    The PKK said there had been repeated calls for Ankara to allow an independent team of doctors to visit Ocalan on the prison island of Imrali, south of Istanbul, but the government had failed to respond. Ocalan, known by his followers as Apo, is known to suffer from an eye ailment.
    "The sincerity in the settlement process of a government which approaches the Leader Apo's health in this way is now seriously being questioned and doubted by our movement, our people and democratic public opinion," it said.
    The PKK, designated a terrorist organization by Turkey, the United States and European Union, also accused the government of supporting Islamist groups involved in clashes with Kurds in northern Syria. Ankara rejects those accusations.
    "We call on the AKP to abandon rapidly this hostile approach shown to the national democratic rights of the Rojava (Syrian) Kurds and to cut its links with al Qaeda groups," it said.
    A Syrian Kurdish party with links to the PKK seized control this week of a Syrian town on Turkey's border after days of clashes with Islamist fighters, prompting Ankara to repeat its opposition to an autonomous Kurdish region emerging there.
    "We have always said that de facto situations on a sectarian or ethnic basis in Syria are unacceptable and will result in greater crises,"
    Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told a news conference in Ankara that Turkey had always opposed the emergence from the conflict of autonomous regions along sectarian or ethnic lines, warning they would "result in greater crises".
    Friday's statement from the PKK's umbrella political group came just over a week after a veteran militant viewed as a hawk was appointed as co-head of the group, stoking speculation it will take a harder line.
    The PKK took up arms against the state in 1984 with the aim of carving out a Kurdish state, but subsequently moderated its goal to regional autonomy. Kurds represent around a fifth of Turkey's population of 76 million people.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/kurd-milita...111144940.html

Thanks
    Turkey Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
    I feel Turkey has been itching to get involved in the Syrian affair. I believe for 2 reasons. First it takes attention away from the government at home and secondly Nato. USA and Israel pressure.
    1-) Turkish people are highly against any military involvement in Syria. Erdogan is harshly criticised for giving support to FSA in Turkey.

2-) I have seen in this forum, USA and Israel is overestimated.

As for US, Forget going war for US. We didn't give them permission to use our soils in the Invasion of Iraq.

AS for Israel.... There is so many examples to give... I'm just giving the the military contracts between Israel and Turkey. In September 2011, military agreements between Turkey and Israel were suspended. Turkey has frozen 16 defense contracts worth billions of dollars since March 2010. Turkey suspended a 5 billion dollar deal for 1,000 Merkava Mk 3 tanks. Turkey also dropped Israel Aerospace Industries Arrow-2 anti-ballistic missile system worth $2 billion from bidding.

Israel absolutely have no say in Turkey.
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sinan For This Useful Post: Hope,Mazea

Thanks
    Pakistan United Arab Emirates

1-)
    Israel absolutely have no say in Turkey.
    I here what you are saying sir BUT indirectly I disagree. The Zionists control the senate and the USA and they control Nato. Turkey is a junior member of Nato and hence indirectly Israel do have a say in Turkey affairs? No?
    The Following User Says Thank You to Hope For This Useful Post: Sinan

Thanks
    Turkey Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    I here what you are saying sir BUT indirectly I disagree. The Zionists control the senate and the USA and they control Nato. Turkey is a junior member of Nato and hence indirectly Israel do have a say in Turkey affairs? No?
    I find this far too stretching. As I know Israel has no say in NATO, something related to contribution to NATO. [MENTION=3902]Neptune[/MENTION] has more knowledge about this issue.

Let me give an example to you.

After the "Mavi Marmara" incident where Israeli soldiers killed nine Turkish citizens in the international waters. Israeli Prime Minister decleared that "Israel will never apologize to Turkey"
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...109923,00.html

If they had influence why did they break in US pressure and apologized to Turkey.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21902273

Turkey acts inaccording to her interest not to another nations.

Thanks
    Turkey Turkey

[MENTION=345]Hope[/MENTION]

Turkey was the first NATO nation to take the command of ISAF after US. As it has the most time of command of ISAF after US and UK.

SNMG-2 and SNMCG-2 was firstly commanded by TN after US. As it has the most number of commanding NATO's maritime forces after US again.

The prev deputy commander of ACO was a Turk. (ACO= Allied Command Operations, HQ of all nato forces)

LANDCOM is newly opened in Izmir, Turkey. with replacing AFSOUTH. (LANDCOM= Allied Land Command, also the HQ of NATO operations in Afghanistan).

Turkey had invoked the Article 4, 3 times. In all; US, Germany, Netherlands sent PAC-3 batteries to Turkey.

Turkey had blocked Israeli participation to all NATO exercises, meetings, summits for 3 years. And nobody could say a damn thing. Even US.

Turkey joined NATO in 1952. 61 years in there. And there are only 13 countries designated as founder members, and has seat in North Atlantic Council. And those 13 of 28 has the right of direct vetoe other than the normal vetoe. And guess what? Turkey is at this status.

This year was the first time that a NATO secretary general said this sentence about a nato nation:

“To the Turkish people we say:
    we are determined to defend
    you and your territory. To anyone
    who would want to attack
    Turkey we say don’t even think
    about it”, he said.

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/news_92861.htm

Now who said Turkey was a junior member. Well I remember Obama and Camerons sentences when they were together in UK. Turkey is a major NATO ally.
    The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neptune For This Useful Post: Express,Pak92,Sinan

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

I find this far too stretching. As I know Israel has no say in NATO, something related to contribution to NATO. [MENTION=3902]Neptune[/MENTION] has more knowledge about this issue.

Let me give an example to you.

After the "Mavi Marmara" incident where Israeli soldiers killed nine Turkish citizens in the international waters. Israeli Prime Minister decleared that "Israel will never apologize to Turkey"
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...109923,00.html

If they had influence why did they break in US pressure and apologized to Turkey.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21902273

Turkey acts inaccording to her interest not to another nations.
    Turkey doesn't owe anyone any favours or favouritism. They have to look after their own interests first and there is nothing wrong with that. The fact is Turkey is in a difficult position and trying to juggle several different ball games. Its a precarious position they find themselves in and I don't believe the friends of Turkey should hold their decisions against them.
    The global power houses cant afford to disrespect Turkey so lets see what the next 6 months holds for them
    The Following User Says Thank You to Express For This Useful Post: Sinan

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Turkey To Buy MRAPs, Weapon Carriers

ANKARA — Turkey will buy scores of armored vehicles and weapon carriers under two contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars, officials said.

In the first deal, Defense Minister Ismet Yilmaz said on July 3 that Turkey would look for a new supplier for the 175 mine-resistant, ambush-protected (MRAP) vehicles a local company failed to deliver.

“In coordination with the armed forces, we will look into a new model that will substitute for the undelivered Kirpis,” Yilmaz said.

Procurement officials said that in addition to the 175 Kirpis for the Army, the police force could order 20 more. Follow-on orders from the Army and the police are also likely, they said.

This year, the Turkish Armed Forces terminated a contract with Turkish armored vehicles producer BMC for the acquisition of 468 Kirpi vehicles. The Kirpi is the country’s first locally designed and developed MRAP.

Under a 2009 contact with the Turkish government, BMC produced and delivered an initial 293 Kirpi vehicles but failed to comply with the original delivery schedule.

One source at BMC blamed “acute financing difficulties and failure to have access to a helping credit line” for the failure to deliver on time. Immediately after the termination of the contract, the country’s procurement agency, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM), fined BMC €8 million (US $10.5 million).

One of the major players in Turkey’s booming armored vehicles market, BMC was seized in May by government authorities due to financial obligations its parent company failed to fulfill, and will be put up for sale.

The Kirpi can accommodate 13 personnel and can move over any terrain at a maximum speed of 105 kilometers per hour.

In 2011, BMC was in talks to sell scores of Kirpis to Iraq and Afghanistan. Industry sources said they see significant demand for the Kirpi in countries exposed to mine and ballistic attack threats.

They also predict substantial foreign demand for the MRAP vehicle, including in some Asian and African countries. BMC was planning to launch a special production line for a right-hand drive version of the Kirpi, which would help in the marketing to some Asian countries, including Bangladesh, Indonesia, Pakistan, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

Separately, SSM announced a two-way competition to acquire 184 tracked and 76 wheeled armored weapon carriers. In late June, the office sent requests for proposal to two local armored vehicle manufacturers, Otokar and FNSS.

Procurement officials estimate this contract to be worth anywhere from $150 million to $200 million.

The Turkish Army transports weapons with its aging M-113 armored carriers, Land Rovers and Willies.

In 2006, SSM announced a contest for the purchase of 1,075 four-wheel-drive weapon carriers, issuing requests for proposals in 2008. Local manufacturers Otokar, FNSS, Hema, Nurol and BMC submitted bids but in 2010 SSM canceled this competition.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2...eapon-Carriers

Thanks
    Turkey Turkey

BMC MRAP KİRPİ

Interior of kirpi

As for Land Rovers and Willies we can use, cobra-2

Otokar Tulpar can Replace M-113 APC

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sinan For This Useful Post: Amjad Hussain,Aryan_B,contract killer,Pak92,RajPatel,Wajid47

Thanks
    Turkey Turkey

Guys while watching a tv program, i have seen Pakistani F-16's being modernized in TAI factory. Do you have any info about the project ?

Pakistani F-16s can be seen clearly in 34:42
    http://tv.cnnturk.com/video/2013/05/...100/index.html
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sinan For This Useful Post: Amjad Hussain,Aryan_B

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Proving you're gay to the Turkish army

By Emre Azizlerli
    BBC World Service

26 March 2012 Last updated at 00:46

Military service is mandatory for all Turkish men - they can only escape it if they are ill, disabled or homosexual. But proving homosexuality is a humiliating ordeal.

''They asked me when I first had anal intercourse, oral sex, what sort of toys I played with as a child."

Ahmet, a young man in his 20s, told officials he was gay at the first opportunity after he was called up, as he and other conscripts underwent a health check.

"They asked me if I liked football, whether I wore woman's clothes or used woman's perfume," he says.

''I had a few days' beard and I am a masculine guy - they told me I didn't look like a normal gay man.''

He was then asked to provide a picture of himself dressed as a woman.

''I refused this request,'' he says. ''But I made them another offer, which they accepted.'' Instead he gave them a photograph of himself kissing another man.

Ahmet hopes this will give him what he needs - a "pink certificate", which will declare him homosexual and therefore exempt from military service.

Over the years, gay life has been becoming more visible in Turkey's big cities. Cafes and clubs with an openly gay clientele have been opening in Istanbul, and last summer's gay pride march - unique in the Muslim world - was the largest ever.

But while there are no specific laws against homosexuality in Turkey, openly gay men are not welcome in the army. At the same time, they have to "prove" their homosexuality in order to avoid military service.

Gokhan, conscripted in the late 1990s, very quickly realised that he was not made for the army.

''I had a fear of guns,'' he reminisces.
    Last summer's gay pride march in Istanbul was the largest ever held in Turkey

As a gay man he was also afraid of being bullied, and after little more than a week he plucked up the courage to declare his sexual orientation to his commander.

''They asked me if I had any photographs.'' Gokhan says, ''And I did.''

He had gone prepared with explicit photographs of himself having sex with another man, having heard that it would be impossible to get out of military service without them.

''The face must be visible,'' says Gokhan. ''And the photos must show you as the passive partner.''

The photographs satisfied the military doctors. Gokhan was handed his pink certificate and exempted from military service. But it was a terrible experience, he says,

''And it's still terrible. Because somebody holds those photographs. They can show them at my village, to my parents, my relatives.''

Gay men say the precise nature of the evidence demanded depends on the whim of the military doctor or commander. Sometimes, instead of photographs, doctors rely on a "personality test".

The Turkish army refused BBC requests for an interview, but a retired general, Armagan Kuloglu, agreed to comment.

Openly gay men in the army would cause "disciplinary problems", he says, and would be impractical creating the need for "separate facilities, separate dormitories, showers, training areas".

He says that if a gay man keeps his sexuality secret, he can serve - an echo of the US military's recently dropped Don't Ask Don't Tell policy.

"But when someone comes out and says he is gay, then the army needs to make sure that he is truly gay, and not simply lying to evade his mandatory duty to serve in the military.''

The social stigma associated with homosexuality in Turkey is such that outside the young and urbanised circles in big cities like Istanbul and Ankara, it is hard to imagine a man declaring that he's gay when he's not.

However, the possibility causes the military a lot of anxiety.

"Doctors are coming under immense pressure from their commanders to diagnose homosexuality, and they obey, even though there really are no diagnostic tools to determine sexual orientation,'' says one psychiatrist who formerly worked at a military hospital.

''It is medically impossible, and not at all ethical."

On Gokhan's pink certificate, his status reads: ''psychosexual disorder''. And next to that, in brackets, ''homosexuality''.

Turkey's military hospitals still define homosexuality as an illness, taking a 1968 version of a document by the American Psychiatric Association as their guide.

Some people in Turkey say with resentment that gay men are actually lucky, as at least they have one possible route out of military service - they don't have to spend months in the barracks, or face the possibility of being deployed to fight against Kurdish militants.

But for openly gay men, life can be far from easy.

It is not uncommon for employers in Turkey to question job applicants about their military service - and a pink certificate can mean a job rejection.

One of Gokhan's employers found out about it not by asking Gokhan himself but by asking the army.

After that, he says, he was bullied. His co-workers made derogatory comments as he walked past, others refused to talk to him.

''But I am not ashamed. It is not my shame," he says.

Ahmet is still waiting for his case to be resolved. The army has postponed its decision on his pink certificate for another year.

Ahmet thinks it is because he refused to appear before them in woman's clothes. And he doesn't know what to expect when he appears in front of them again.

Could he not just do his military service and keep his homosexuality a secret? ''No,'' says Ahmet, firmly.

''I am against the whole military system. If I have to fulfil a duty for this nation, they should give me a non-military choice.''

Some names have been changed to protect the identity of interviewees. Emre Azizlerli's documentary The Pink Certificate will be broadcast onBBC World Serviceon 27 March 2011.

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

Guys while watching a tv program, i have seen Pakistani F-16's being modernized in TAI factory. Do you have any info about the project ?
    [MENTION=3907]Sinan[/MENTION]:

Turkey delivers 3 modernised F-16 aircraft to Pakistan

ANKARA: Turkish Aerospace Industries Inc (TUSAS) has delivered three modernised F-16 aircraft to Pakistani Air Force (PAF), the semi-official Anatolia news agency reported. Turkish Defence Industry Undersecretary Murad Bayar was quoted as saying at a delivering ceremony that Turkey and Pakistan have successfully cooperated on a wide range of technologies, including radio, electronics and military information systems. TUSAS signed the contract with Pakistan Defence Ministry in June 2009 after winning out in the tender of Pakistan Air Force F-16 Modernisation (Peace Drive II) programme. Under the programme, TUSAS’s engineers and technicians are responsible for the modernisation of a total of 41 F-16 aircraft in the inventory of PAF.

w w w .dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2012%5C02%5C10%5Cstory_10-2-2012_pg7_6
    I will pm link to mods as I cant post link i dont have enough posts

I think there is also some work maybe secret but I think Pakistani working with Turkish on cruise missiles
    The Following User Says Thank You to Amjad Hussain For This Useful Post: Sinan

Thanks
    Pakistan Pakistan

In a radical move, Turkey opts for co-development of long-range missiles
    Despite high expectations, Turkey did not pick a winner in its six-year long-range air and missile defense systems (T-Loramids) project during a meeting on Jan. 3, held by the country's top decision making body on weapons procurement, headed by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Instead, Erdoğan used his influence in a decision for the co-development of the missiles in cooperation with one of the bidding companies in the T-Loramids program. I have to say that a decision to co-develop the missiles is a very aggressive policy, taking into consideration Turkey's existing relatively weak defense industry base. However, it does not mean that Turkey cannot co-develop a long-range missile in the long term and that the most important factor is to start somewhere instead of taking no action to this end.

Some critics have long been criticizing Turkey's plan to buy 12 long-range missile systems off the shelf at a cost of around $4 billion. Instead, those critics were urging Ankara to abandon the project on the grounds that it is expensive and that whenever Turkey needs such systems NATO -- of which it is a member -- has in all previous situations lent Turkey Patriot surface-to-air missile systems. This was the case lately when NATO began deploying Patriot missiles on Turkish soil to defend Turkey's territory against a possible anti-ballistic missile attack that may come from neighboring Syria, where the civil war has been continuing for almost two years now.

Hence, NATO has come to Turkey's assistance in bolstering the Turkish air defense against possible threats. However, some -- including many Turkish officers, distrust the alliance and have thus been advocating that Turkey acquire its own long-range missile systems.

The critical question that should be posed at this stage is: Who decides on the matters of Turkish weapons purchases? There is no parliamentary commission that is elaborating in depth over whether Turkey needs costly defense systems, for example, while it is unknown even to legislators what Turkey perceives as threats in order for it to buy the relevant weapons.

In the absence of an oversight on Turkish policies regarding the purchasing of weapons in particular and Turkish defense expenditures in general, neither by the parliament nor by the Court of Accounts, it becomes difficult to know exactly what kind of weapons Turkey needs and whether some of the weapons being purchased are really necessary or are being purchased arbitrarily resulting in the waste of our liras.

The lack of an oversight on Turkish weapons acquisition policies is as an important problem in meeting the transparency and good governance standards required in democracies.

In the meantime, however, the current government policies to strengthen the Turkish defense industry base have helped the domestic production of some of the weapons systems. This industry, for a long time, has been unable to produce even some nonessential technologies, thus being reliant on industries abroad for around 85 percent of their defense systems.

Turkey has now set a target of producing critical military technologies locally. Nevertheless, the financial resources earmarked for Research and Development (R&D) projects are a drop in the ocean to meet this ambitious goal. For example, $600 million is earmarked for R&D projects mainly in defense for the fiscal year 2013, which is not adequate enough to produce critical technologies. Adding to the problem is the current Turkish government's exaggerated approach and overconfidence as if Turkey has turned its defense industry base into a strong one to produce even critical technologies without foreign help.

For example, in the production of the Göktürk 2 satellite, Turkish decision makers claimed that it was 80 percent locally manufactured. The public was thus being deceived since considerable technical support was received from foreign suppliers in the production of this satellite which was put into orbit lately from China.

When the public is misled about Turkey's real strength in the defense industry, for example, they later become disillusioned and begin to inquire about the reasons behind the significant amount of resources allocated to the military yet Turkey does not have a strong defense industry base.

Now that Turkey has not picked a winner in its six-year missile acquisition project, the question is whether Ankara will be able to produce the long-range missiles that few nations have so far manufactured.

Turkey appears to have a strong will and the determination to co-develop long-range missiles. This will not only assist the creation of a stronger defense industry base in the long run but will also turn the lucrative weapons business into an asset for the economy instead of being a burden due to the earlier frequent direct purchases of weapons from abroad. Still, the problem of knowing which arms to buy in a transparent fashion has to be addressed.
    http://www.todayszaman.com/columnist...-missiles.html

Rumor has it that a Pakistani company is currently collaborating with Turkey in their Missile (SAM) development Program...
    Its an open secret that NESCOM has done some research on Pakistan's own long range SAM...
    Since Erdogan's decision to develop Turkey's own missile defense and long range SAM system...Mush under the table diplomacy and collaboration has been going on between the two countries...

Again its a rumor , but Turkish SOM missile may be further developed into a larger cruise missile with longer range by Pakistan's experience with development of Cruise missiles.....and Pakistan's decades of experience with Civilian nuclear reactors is also being transferred to Turkey..

In return Pakistan expects much needed Long range SAM and Missile defense system,which India has and Pakistan doesn't.

Hoover News about Turkish SAM and Missile defense program have been confusing

http://www.worldtribune.com/2013/05/...fense-program/

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2...Defense-System

Furthermore..there has been a formal agreement between the two countries to co-develop defence gear...No exact details are available as of what they will co-develop.

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-ne...-co-production

Pakistan, Turkey discuss defence co-production

March 02, 2013
    APP

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan and Turkey on Friday discussed possibilities of local production, co-production and transfer of technology for defence-related products according to needs of the two countries.
    Defence Minister Syed Naveed Qamar discussed these issues during his visit to Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) near Ankara.
    President and Chief Executive Officer of TAI Muharrem Dortkasli and his colleagues briefed Qamar about the main areas of activities of TAI, said a press release received from Ankara. Progress on existing defence-related projects between Turkey and Pakistan was also reviewed.
    The delegation later visited the facilities of aircraft manufacturing, overhauling, and were shown a demonstration of T129 attack helicopter developed by TAI.
    Turkish Defence Minister Ismet Yilmaz and Pakistan Ambassador to Turkey Muhammad Haroon Shaukat were also present.
    The visiting Pakistani delegation offered Juma prayers at the historic Haji Bayram Mosque at Ankara.
    After the prayers, the Pakistan
    Last edited by safriz; 26th July 2013 at 03:07.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast